iPhone 4: Incase Slider or Microshell?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by itzbobbeh, May 31, 2011.

1. itzbobbeh, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

itzbobbeh macrumors newbie

as a normal (and careful) user of an iphone 4, i can count how many times i drop my phone on 1.5 hands (sorta) and most of the time it's because i dangerously balance it on my clothes when i shower and i forget it's there and bloop it drops (i have an iskin solo so it's pretty set on the impact factor)

anyway let me cut to the chase: it's time for a new case.
    after spending hours and hours slaving over a bright screen through the wee hours of the morning, i have come to the conclusion of these two cases:
    the Marware Microshell case
    and the incase slider case

and i'm stumped.
    i like the microshell in that it has a slight lay-on-table design but still maintains a sense of thinness (most thin shell cases don't have that lip)

my only gripes (which pales in magnitude compared to the pros) are the volume/silent cutout, as i'm not sure whether i can just flick my finger across the switch or not (no biggie though)
    and i'm not sure if it will survive a single drop on a hard surface (again i don't drop my phone on the regular, and if i do drop it, chances are it probably will be a carpet or if i'm unlucky, a hard surface). so i'm not too worried about the drop factor and i guess it's just something that i will have to sacrifice for a thin case

as for the incase slider, it seems to be on the moderately thin side (by no means is it a pinlo bladedge though, or one of those heavy-duty otterbox things) and the reviews say that access to the controls is a breeze, but i'm not too fond of the 2-pieceness, because i could lose the bottom part :( i'd get it without a doubt if it was slightly thinner. i just hate to get this case and have to settle with a case that is just as thick as my iskin solo (unless someone can say otherwise)

so, to compare the two in terms of cons:
    microshell: my iphone could die from a single drop but i'm more of a careful user so it's not a big issue
    slider: 2-pieceness (not a big deal), not sure if it bodes well with shock absorption (due to it's hardness)

feel free to include your own opinions and experiences!
    i'm leaning towards the microshell though..

so, macrumors, help me. microshell, or incase slider?

2. kicko macrumors 65816

I can only speak for the incase slider which i do like but i have yet to use mine since i'm a big panzy and have to have a screen protector on. The problem is that its very hard to use with a screen protector because it bubbles up. I have cut a screen protector up and it still bubbled up. So your like me thas going to be an issue.

Otherwise, i really like the slider case with its big cut outs and smooth shape. I have also read about situations where since its a tight fitting case it has cracked the rear glass. For me its a love/hate case.

3. tekbeattv macrumors member

tekbeattv

My vote is for the Incase Slider only because after reading your concerns with the Slider case, that point really is nothing to worry about. The Incase Slider two piece comes together and the fit is pretty tight. There should not be any worry with it coming off etc. (unless you are referring to losing it meaning having to plug it into a dock).

Hope this helps!

4. cole01 macrumors 6502

I would say go for the incase slider. It doesn't feel thick on the iPhone 4 and provides decent drop protection even though the plastic case might crack in the process. I own a lot of cases and keep coming back to my gunmetal slider.

5. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

For those who uses a protective sticker on the sides of your iphone 4, do NOT get this Incase slider. I have one for my iPhone4 and it is HELL to slide it out of the case.

My friend bought a red slider, so I tried it on mine. OMG, it takes me half an hour, trying to slide it off the case. I tried using rubber material to hold onto the iPhone (for better grip), still can't get it off. Almost had to break the case to get it off.

6. Mark98xlt macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My incase slider pro fit on perfect with s screen protector on, only one little bubble on the bottom which doesn't bother me and I'm OCD about bubbles on my screen protectors

7. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Beware of the slider for one thing, if it drops and hits the bottom, it will break. My phone took a pretty decent drop and I got a nice crack on the lower lip.

8. roz shreon macrumors newbie

I would go for incase slider because,according to me It is pro fit on perfect with screen protector on & provides decent drop protection.