iPhone 4 installed 4.1 no MobileMe contact sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theHunter, Sep 2, 2010.

  1. theHunter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #1
    Well I am a developer and downloaded the official 4.1 gm from apple and installed. Every thing seemed fine until someone sent me a text and only the phone number showed up and not their name, went to contacts and saw that they did not sync with MobileMe. I tried toggling contacts in settings, did not help, I also tried deleting MobileMe account and resetting it up, nothing seems to work. I checked my MobileMe account and all the contacts are still there, I also checked my iPad and the contacts are still syncing there fine. One other thing is the calendar and book marks don't sync either.

    Any ideas.
     
  2. pugnut macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    #2
    Did you restore from a backup? Delete the mail account and than re-add.
     
  3. theHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #3
    I setup as new phone, and yes deleted MobileMe then reinstalled.
     
  4. jdwusami macrumors newbie

    jdwusami

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2008
    Location:
    Michigan
    #4
    I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 4 and iOS 4.1 GM. MobileMe contacts seems to be the only problem I have had with iOS 4.1 and nothing I have tried seems to work.

    I setup my iPhone 4 as a new Phone after the install and I have deleted my MobileMe account/restarted the phone after delete before reinstall/turned off contacts restarted phone then turned them back on... etc. Nothings seems to work. The only thing I have not tried is rebuilding my iPhone from scratch again.
     
  5. Ever34 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2009
    #6
    I've always been unable to sink bookmarks with past IOS. With 4.1 everything works fine for me including bookmarks.
     
  6. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

    ryanmcv

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #7
    I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 4.1 GM and all MobileMe services are working fine for me.
     
  7. theHunter thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #8
    Ok, did not think anyone else was having this problem, so I did not post the solution.

    I have several iPhones laying around for development so I just threw 4.1GM on one and tested it to see if it was MobileMe or sync services, it would not sync either.

    I then did some experimenting with some of the computers that are syncing with MobileMe, I have 2 Macs, and at least 4 pcs and 1 iPad. They were all syncing properly, even making test entries they still synced fine. After reformatting the phones a couple of different times thinking something that one of the apps that I am working on was causing the issue that was not the case.

    I then grabbed an iPhone that had not been upgraded to 4.1 at all not even the beta, and added my MobileMe to it and it still did not sync.

    Contacted Apple support and after about 20 minutes on chat, determined that the issue was inconsistent sync data on MobileMe and that I would have to rebuild the data.

    The solution was to take a computer that you know has all the correct data on it and sign out of MobileMe, for me this was one of the Macs, once signed out you need to wait at least 5 minutes to sign back in, I was told this is because the sign out info needs to propagate across several backup systems and it takes about a minute but they use 5 minutes as a base time frame. Once the time is up you then sign back into MobileMe on that computer and when prompted to merge data, choose to replace all data on MobileMe with the data on the computer. You will be prompted a couple of different times with the same type of choice, always choose to replace the data on MobileMe.

    Once the sync was complete, I turned off all syncing on my iPhone under MobileMe and waited about a minute then turned them all back on and by the time I could exit and return to contacts all data had been synced. I also checked all other data including notes and it had all synced.

    As it was explained to me was that when I updated the first iPhone to 4.1GM, it somehow caused inconsistencies in the sync data and would no longer sync with any new additions to MobileMe sync. It would keep syncing with the systems that the data was not corrupt for but could no longer sync with the unit that caused the problem or any new units.

    Its been a couple of days and all seems to be working.

    By the way MobileMe is the best solution I have found for keeping all my contacts, calendars and bookmarks synced to all my systems including pcs.
     

Share This Page