iPhone 4 Insurance in UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oxfordguy, Aug 24, 2010.

1. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Hi - I have a 16Gb iPhone 4 on contract with three, their own iPhone insurance seems quite pricey, but the cost/cover/excess offered by third party insurers seems to differ widely, and I'm not sure how reliable some of them would be, so I'm not sure what to do. My house insurer (Endsleigh) don't insure mobile phones for loss, so that counts them out...

Does anyone have an genuine recommendations for iPhone insurance in the UK or can point me towards a thread which covers this? Thanks

2. jellybean macrumors regular

I have a bank account with the co-operative bank which costs £10 per month and insures up to four smartphones including iPhones and they were quick to replace my iPhone when it went for a swim in March, and the other extras which come with the account are worth the monthly tenner alone.

3. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

If you searched you would have found numerous threads on this.

I have a LloydsTSB platinum bank account and you get mobile phone insurance with that. Not sure how many phones you can cover with it but it covers up to the value of £2,500 (who's phone costs this much?) and covers accidental damage, water damage, theft and loss.
    It also covers you for used call time and things like that.
    The account itself costs £12.99 a month but their lowest, silver account, only costs £7.99 a month and covers exactly the same.

It seems a lot of banks offer mobile phone insurance, you should check with your own bank to see if you can already insure your phone.

4. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Home Insurance is your best bet, I added my iPhone 4 and a few more gadgets for just over £0.60p each per month, very cheap indeed.

5. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Endsleigh won't insure against accidental loss, only theft, accidental damage etc. Is this usual?

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Another alternative is...

http://www.protectyourbubble.com/ip-iphone-insurance.html

£5.99 a month for worldwide cover against accidental damage, liquid damage, theft and breakdown. If you want to protect against loss then that's £1 extra a month. Best to compare the excesses and features to see what's best for you, but these are definitely better value than the insurance the networks try to sell you.

7. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are these 3rd party insurance companies reliable? i.e. do they actually pay out?

The £6.99/month for insurance *including* loss doesn't sounds too bad, though there's quite a big excess for claims with the above company:
    excess charge is £50 for iPhones, plus an additional £25 for loss claims.

I think with Three's own insurance its about £9/month to insure an iPhone (including against loss), but the excess is only £25

I definitely want insurance against loss, as that's probably more likely than theft!

8. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Has anyone experience of insureandgo?

10. Sammio2 macrumors regular

Sammio2

Not exactly true, you can add phone insurance to any policy, for £30 a year which covers accidental damage, as well as theft, etc etc.

Source: I've been using the insurance policy for 2 years!

11. oxfordguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does it cover accidental loss - i.e. not just damage or theft? i.e. if you lose your phone somewhere, e.g. on the Tube, can you claim for it?