Iphone 4 Insurance Providers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jnardis, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have a 3rd party insurance provider? Is it worth the $ or is it a waste? I hate the apple care (bad experience with my 3gs last year).

2. GeneticFreak84 macrumors regular

3. mmike70 macrumors newbie

State Farm offers this now. They'll insure phones, ipads, laptops at the rate of roughly $6.50/$100 of coverage per year (don't quote me on that but it is very reasonable). They cover damage and loss due to your own fault (drop in the ocean for instance) or theft. Something best buy, att or squaretrade can't say. No deductible and you don't have to have any other policy with them. They just need the serial number and proof of purchase and that's it. I'm almost positive they'll cut you a check if the worst happens. No messing with refurbished phones or wasting time to get it repaired.

4. calvy macrumors 65816

I just got a Personal Articles policy through state farm for my iPhone. It cost 49 dollars for the year, and covers me for loss, theft, or anything else really except war (oddly enough). At first, my agent told me they were no longer writing policies for iPhones. But I shattered my iPhone and took it to the apple store for mercy, and I found out there that many people have come in with checks from State Farm for replacements. So I called my agent up again, and asked him to explain. He said he'd write it up and send it to the underwriters, and see if it stuck. And it did. I've got all my papers, insured for the value of 752 dollars.

5. aedraste macrumors member

6. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I got Safeware - a little more $$ than Squaretrade but it covers everything, including theft. Not that anyone would want to lift anything Consumer Reports hadn't endorsed!

7. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I'm using Mobile Protect. It's a little pricey at $11.99/month, but it's worth it for me as it covers everything including lost/stolen. I paid over $700 for my iP4, and would not want to do it a second time.

8. dinko macrumors newbie

If you are a student, I recommend CSI Insurance (http://www.collegestudentinsurance.com). It's a renter's insurance for students, it's really cheap and it covers all your electronics. I specifically checked with them and they do cover the iPhone. They reimburse replacement value and cover loss, theft and accidents.

9. Macbie macrumors member

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Safeware for me

11. calvy macrumors 65816

Which only gives you 90 days accidental/loss. I am happy to pay less than 5 bucks a month for mine through State Farm, who I trust and do business with for other things. Well, trust as much as I can trust an insurance company.

12. timmy2 macrumors member

My way to "get insurance" - broken not lost

My way to get "insurance" after the fact and only if you need it....

- Break your new iphone4 that cost you $199.

-sell your broken phone - get cash - more than you think - broken iphone 3's are selling for 50-150 on ebay.

- get an old working att phone of some kind, - not a data plan phone - in your drawer? from a friend? whatever. (where is my old micro-tac [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_MicroTAC ?)

- add a "family member" to your plan for 9.99.

- by then you might get a refurb iphone 4 for $150. (ok maybe) when you add that family member. (pay for it with the money you get for selling the broken phone)

- the new iphone gets your old number.

- the new phone gets the "family member phone" number

you still have your contract....

So unless att makes you keep a contact for an iphone you are paying 9.99 a month after the fact and only if you need it for the insurance.

naybe too cute by half ---

What am I missing?

---------------------------

oh yeah do this today:

- sell your old phone NOW!! - get cash (why not start here!!! - holding onto it is throwing away money)

13. Espo macrumors 6502

I'm actually having an issue with my insurance company. My Apple receipt shows I payed $199.00 but it does not show the unsub price of the iPhone 4 and my insurance company wants to see the phone costs $599. Any suggestions?

An Apple rep (the people in store couldnt help me) told me to ask for my order invoice.

14. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Call your wireless carrier and ask them to email a copy of the invoice that was in the box that your iPhone shipped in. This is what I just had to do myself, because the AT&T rep. In the store didn't give it to me when I picked up my iP4 in the store last week. They can look up your invoice by your wireless number, and email it to you.

15. Espo macrumors 6502

Did you order online or in-store? Apple or At&t?

16. Syk macrumors 6502a

I got a survey from AT&T asking about the iPhone4 and Insurance. Yesterday and one of the questions was:
    I put a whooping $0.00 for that answer. It's my understanding I can take my broken phone to an Apple store and get it replaced for $199, if it's stolen or lost I would just upgrade my 2nd line which has a 4yr old flip phone attached to it that I let my brother use. All he wants is something to make calls or use my 3G until I'm due an upgrade again

17. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I use two items for protection:

AppleCare, plus $200 if I dunk, drop, accidentally microwave, or otherwise trash my phone.

Asurion in case the device gets lost or stolen. This way, I'm not out the full retail price for the phone.

18. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

State Farm really does look like the best bet.

19. sp86 macrumors newbie

Yeah. I've been researching too ... I heard squaretrade has great service and are swift and honestly I cant afford more.

Does it cover accidents ? Anyone have any experience with them ?

20. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I called my local State Farm agent and they said they didn't cover the iPhone, but you might get lucky.

Still haven't decided which insurance I want to get.

21. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

For those of us that don't have SF, this is not an option.

22. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

state farm quoted me 30 bucks a year, no deductible. i also have renter's insurance through them. this is a no-brainer for me.

23. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I ordered mine in the AT&T store, and picked it up from their as well.

24. xander611 macrumors newbie

I know one insurance company that offers great iPhone 4 coverage. You can check their website at www.ensquared.com. They offer 1 yr and 2 yr iPhone insurance for as low as $89.99.

They also have a 24hr claim center so claims are hassle free!

Trust me, your money will be well spent especially when you know that your investment is insured.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd be wary of insuring through any automobile/home insurance company, especially if you have an auto/homeowner policy through them. File a claim and you'll see your rate jacked up, or rather, this claim will count toward your record of claims in determining the premiums for all other products through that company (and others when you switch to a different company).

Amex is at least free for the first 90 days and after that, if you're totally confident you'll shatter your iPhone at least twice a year, get Squaretrade or a dedicated company offering this coverage.