iPhone 4 Insurance - Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TahoeDust, Jul 2, 2010.

1. TahoeDust macrumors 6502

I want to insure my new i4, but am not impressed with the price and details of Apples or AT&T options.

Can someone please share with me their recommendation and experience with the other companies that offer insurance.

So far I have only looked into Squaretrade & Safeware,

I am leaning toward Safeware because they cover virtually everything....Squaretrade is a little cheaper but does not cover theft, loss, or full on submersion.

Any insight would be awesome.

-Dustin

2. TahoeDust thread starter macrumors 6502

I came across this chart....

Looks like WorthAvGroup may be the best option. Anyone have experience with them?

[​IMG]

3. coelacanth macrumors 6502

There were many discussions about this and here is my conclusion.

If the insurance is for damaging the phone, just pay $199 to Apple and get a replacement iPhone 4 right on the spot.

If your main concern is theft, then SafeWare and Mobile Protect are your options. One catch with SafeWare is that their maximum coverage is $400 for 16GB and $500 for 32GB so in case of loss, expect to pay extra to actually get the replacement without subsidized pricing that you originally got.

The point of having Mobile Point is that you are paying $12 per month specifically for theft/loss. Deductible is the same as Apple's out-of-warranty swap.

4. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

So at apple I can just pay 200 on the spot for a new phone? At anytime during me owning my phone?

On a side note I talked to a worth group agent, they said a claim can take 4-6 weeks before you get a new phone.

Squaretrade looks to be the best, except that it's only good for 1 replacement/fix. Not that I plan on more then one.

Bur if I can just stroll into an apple store and get a new iPhone 4 for 200 if I water damage/or crack my screen that sounds good.

5. gouda272 macrumors regular

That's not entirely true about square trade per se. If they actually have to pay you because they cannot repair it then yes it is a one time payout and warranty ends and you have to rebuy it. You can have numerous fixes as long as the total repair amount does not total the value of the phone.

6. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Basically, if you have a broken phone in one piece, Apple will replace it for $199 right on the spot (assuming they have replacement units). If you physically lost the phone or the phone is smashed into multiple pieces like ran over by a truck, they don't cover it. I think they are recycling troubled phone parts for refurbish (Apple typically use new external parts for refurbished phones so you can't tell) so they can give you a replacement phone for cheaper price.

See details here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

7. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

That's good to know!

8. artofdesign macrumors member

That links seems to say they cover water damage in the $199 coverage. But what about cracked glass where the phone still functions fine?

9. TahoeDust thread starter macrumors 6502

So, do you think the worth group is the way to go if you dont mind waiting the 4-6 weeks for the reimbursement check?

It looks like they cover everything, and if something goes wrong, they just send me a check for the replacement cost.

10. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I would rather not wait almost 2 months. I'd rather purchase safeware for theft loss.

If you don't mind waiting, then it's easily the best plan out there IMO

11. TahoeDust thread starter macrumors 6502

I am really looking for the best way I can insure it including theft, loss, water damage, and the other usual cause of breakage.

Loss ie a real conern for me.

12. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Squaretrade protects for 99 with a 50 deductible for accidents. I dont think they cover loss/theft though.

13. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Call your insurance company that you have car or home insurance through. State Farm offers a Personal Articles Policy for around $35 per year for $600 of coverage for ABSOLUTELY ANY REASON (theft, breakage, loss, dropped in the toilet, etc). I would guess other companies offer similar policies.

I dropped my 3GS and had a $600 check two days later.

14. lskeys macrumors member

Signed with Worthavegroup today. Checked them out on BBB.org. No complaints from either state,local, or federal gov. Also, did not see any individual complaints. Did a year's service for $85.10 with $600.00 coverage limit. They seem to offer the best bang for the buck.

15. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

This is what I did. Went down and got a policy for $46 a year for a 32gb. Valued the phone at $699. He said the 16gb is only $40 since it is cheaper to replace. My local State Farm agent is great and would recommend calling them if you have insurance through them.

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I tried to get insurance for my iPhone after insuring my Macbook Pro and accessories for over $3,500.

The agent told me to take a hike, then bragged about how some of the more "preferred" customers with hundreds of accounts and policies get a one time exception to the rule.

17. snkeyez95 macrumors newbie

Check with your homeowners insurance (or renters). Mine covers zero deductible.