iPhone 4 interferes with mail on home computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chriswisc, Mar 31, 2011.

1. chriswisc macrumors newbie

I recently switched from AT&T (3gs) to Verizon (iPhone 4). Great service but since then, my home computer doesn't receive any mail unless my iPhone 4 is turned off. I've called the internet/mail provider (charter.net), spoke to Apple twice and no one seems to know why this is happening. This wasn't an issue with AT&T. I backed up my iphone and did a complete restore, turned off my computer & iphone ~ no luck;(. MobileMe email isn't affected by this.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this happening?

Thank you!

2. wpotere Guest

How is your mail setup on both the computer and phone? Are you using POP or IMAP?

3. chriswisc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, mail is setup on both the computer and phone. The home computer is set up as POP and I'm not sure about the phone. In settings (on phone), it says IMAP ACCOUNT SETTINGS to set up an account which is what I did. Is it possible to delete those accounts and set up as pop account or is it preset for IMAP?

Thanks

4. wpotere Guest

OK, you need to understand the difference between the two. When you mail arrives at the server you are going to use a client to get it. The two protocols for this are POP and IMAP and they do two different things. POP actually moves the mail off the server to the client. IMAP actually lets you view the mail ON the server and leaves the message there. In this case I would recommend IMAP so that you can see the mail on both devices without having to sync. First you need to check the server settings. For instance, GMAIL has a page to setup the account and under that tab is an area that you can set it to POP or IMAP. This tells the server how you are going to get your mail. After that, you need to setup the client to access the server using the protocol that you chose. Most vendors provide a set of instructions on how to setup the clients with the proper port numbers and fully qualified domain names. It isn't hard but if the settings are messed up you could get issues like you are seeing.

Who do you use for e-mail? GMAIL?

5. chriswisc thread starter macrumors newbie

Your explanation makes complete sense. The mail we use is @charter.net. I believe I have to delete my email accounts in order to change from POP to IMAP. I'll let you know what happens;).
    Thanks for your help thus far!