Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geoff2005

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
I need this question answered quickly. So i contacted Sprint ask them to unlock my phone so i can use international sim. They said sure but for you to be able to use it, i will have to update to latest iPhone version and I do not want to do that.

are they lying, it doesn't make sense as to why updating to the latest version will enable the unlock on their side to my phone. also is there a way to be able to use the unlock without updating to latest version?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Why should they lie?

Why don't you want to go to 5.1.1?

Probably the phone needs to be deactivated before they can push the unlock.
If you are not jailbroken restoring is the only way to do that, if jailbroken you can deactivate using either SAM from Cydia or redsn0w

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Now is the time to update your iOS, seeing as it is still jailbreak able/shsh able too. I don't see why you wouldn't want to update... But yes, it's the only way to officially do it, I just barely had to go through that process with AT&T, now I love my phone even more.

geoff2005

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Why should they lie?

Why don't you want to go to 5.1.1?

Probably the phone needs to be deactivated before they can push the unlock.
If you are not jailbroken restoring is the only way to do that, if jailbroken you can deactivate using either SAM from Cydia or redsn0w

I would think it is a way for them to get you to update it so it is only unlocked by them for international.

i havent been keeping up with the updates, but the guy said something about updating it to 6.0... im guessing 5.1.1 is newest version. If it is jailbreak able then might as well update, but also is any version unlock able to use with local sim? if i do sell my phone in the future i rather keep the option of having it unlock able so it sells easier.

the guy already did it through his end and he said whenever u get home just restore to newest version and ur good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.