iPhone 4: Internet Tethering spinning gear and no mobile data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Blindside, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Blindside macrumors member

Ok, something weird happened today. My iPhone worked fine since last thursday. This morning I wanted to open Safari while I had GPRS. Safari loaded for ages and than crashed (back to homscreen). Since then, I have no mobile data available.
    The network reception is fine and I can make calls, but no GPRS, no EDGE or 3G. Also, since then I see that spinning wheel for Internet Tethering (which was not there before) and I can't stop it.
    I tried to restart the phone and to reset the network settings - nothing helped, no mobile data.
    I'm on Orange in UK and I also do not have any settings for mobile data like APN, they just do not exist.
    Has anyone an idea?

2. benvenu5 macrumors newbie

I'm having a very similar problem on an iPhone 4. My 3G data started cutting out randomly yesterday, and now today it just doesn't work at all. I also get the tethering spinning gear thing. If I switch off 3G and just use edge then data will start working... but slowly. I got it on June 24th and everything was working perfectly up until yesterday.

I tried restarting & resetting network settings. Still nothing.

Im going to bring it to the apple store later today and see what they have to say. Ill let you know.

By the way I'm on ATT in the US.

3. benvenu5 macrumors newbie

Weird... right after my last post it started working again... After not working for over 2 hours.

UPDATE- nevermind that... not working again.

4. Blindside thread starter macrumors member

My next Apple Store is quite far away and I won't have time to go there until the week after next week. So would be great if you could tell me what the Apple guys told you at the Apple Store!
    I removed and inserted my SIM, while being in the networks settings. After reinserting the SIM, I had 3G fir about 5 seconds and no spinning gear. Then the gear started spinning and no data connection again. 3G and mobile data are activated in the settings but I don't even see the circle next to the carrier.
    My battery is dying right now (before going to sleep 99%, after waking up 98%, past 8 hours 70%) and I'm quite shure that the stupid spinning wheel is causing the loss of my data connection and my current battery drain.
    I'll try to restore at home and keep you updated.

5. benvenu5 macrumors newbie

Yea my battery is draining extremely quick as well. It has only been about 4 hours and its already down to 70%.

I have the 3G symbol next to the carrier name... so it appears connected, but obviously isnt.

I'll definitely let you know what they say. I should be able to stop there in a few hours.

6. hockeydude35 macrumors member

Interesting...my 3G data service dropped out last night into this morning as well. It was like completely dead. Where are you located Benvenu5? I'm in Northern VA.

7. benvenu5 macrumors newbie

I'm in the Detroit area. I thought maybe it was the network but other people around me weren't having any issues.

8. Blindside thread starter macrumors member

My mobile data is miraculously working right now again (started on my way home on the same bus which I was taking to work in the morning...). The wheel is still spinning though. I have yet to see how the battery behaves.

9. benvenu5 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I brought my phone into the Apple Store yesterday. They did the standard things to try and fix it (restart, switch out the sim, etc.) and nothing worked. So they just told me they would give me a new one. Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock so they are going to call me when they have one for me. Hopefully its not too long.