iPhone 4 iOS 4.1 Update Crash

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lachances, Oct 16, 2010.

1. lachances macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have an iPhone 4 bought from a canadian Apple Store (factory unlocked). I was running the latest version of 4.0.x and decided I was going to update to 4.1.

My phone was jailbroken. I thought I would follow the guide on this site to update to 4.1 with greenpois0n.

So I backed-up my jailbroken apps with Aptbackup. I synced the iPhone to iTunes 10.0.1 on my Macbook Pro.
    Then I hit the update button. It downloaded the update, and then went on to install it.
    Then it jammed.
    The iTunes progress bar is stuck at like 99% and the iPhone's progress bar (the one with the black screen and only the white Apple logo) is stuck at about 60-70% through.

It is stuck there and won't move.
    What should I do? I can't seem to find anything on Google.

2. lachances thread starter macrumors newbie

this puts my iPhone in DFU mode. But from there, I still have the same problem. It prompts me to restore, I do it, and it jams at the same spot.

Any other idea?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok, so the restore process doesnt finish?
    Maybe try another computer to restore it and if you get the same again bring it to apple for an exchange.

4. lachances thread starter macrumors newbie

Now whenever I click restore, it starts the process in iTunes but quickly stops and displays the following message:
    --
    The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
    --
    Could this really be a case of their server being down?

5. lachances thread starter macrumors newbie

My iPhone was jailbroken when all that happenned. Is there really hope with Apple?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Might be an issue with your computer not beeing able to communicate with apples update server.

7. rk1991 macrumors regular

im having a similar problem. Im trying to restore my iphone and I get the the same error and im not jailbroken. I think there is genuinely a problem with the apple server.

8. stevenisHAUNTED macrumors member

Bingo.

9. lachances thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow I can't believe this.
    iTunes server down the exact moment I try to update my I-think-its-bricked iPhone.

Glad others are having the problem. Leaves a ray of hope for me.

10. lachances thread starter macrumors newbie

Servers are back up.
    At least I'm not having the issues we identified to be on their side.
    Now iTunes will actually proceed with the update, but it will crash at the same exact place as it always does. Two thirds of the way on the iPhone's progress bar indicator.

What was just described is what happens when I just hit the Restore button (4.1).
    I downloade the ipsw files from iClarified. If I try 4.0.2 or 4.0.1, I get an error message saying that my iPhone cannot work with this build or something like it.

I'm lost. What else can I try?

11. rk1991 macrumors regular