Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

modular

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Hey there,
I'm still chugging along with my iphone 4 & ios 4. My contract with att is expired so im free to upgrade, but I don't see any need to.

my issue is there are a lot of new apps that require ios 5, and soon ios 6. Will my iphone 4 (not 4s) feel slower if i upgrade to 6?

modular

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
My iPhone 4 feels as fast as ever on iOS 6.

cool, sounds good :) I'll give it a try, but now i'm a little worried about the maps. I might wait until google maps shows up in the app store

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Hey there,
I'm still chugging along with my iphone 4 & ios 4. My contract with att is expired so im free to upgrade, but I don't see any need to.

my issue is there are a lot of new apps that require ios 5, and soon ios 6. Will my iphone 4 (not 4s) feel slower if i upgrade to 6?

Wait for the 5S and my 4S feels much faster on ios6 so I am sure the 4 will too. BUT if you like google maps, you may not want to upgrade

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I have no idea why anyone with an iPhone 4 would choose to update to iOS 6 when they could jailbreak and get more features on iOS 5. I know some people don't like to jailbreak, I'm one of them, but if I were still on an iPhone 4 I'd seriously consider leaving it alone due to the lack of genuine, useful new features.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I have no idea why anyone with an iPhone 4 would choose to update to iOS 6 when they could jailbreak and get more features on iOS 5. I know some people don't like to jailbreak, I'm one of them, but if I were still on an iPhone 4 I'd seriously consider leaving it alone due to the lack of genuine, useful new features.

The iPhone 4 may not get all of the headline features of iOS6, but there are a TON of little UI improvements littered throughout iOS 6. Most of them aren't really talked about and you only discover them as you use it. There is an over 60 page sticky on this forum detailing many of them and I still find some things here and there that I haven't seen posted yet.

There were quite a few UI gripes I had with iOS 5 that were improved upon in iOS 6 so it is well worth upgrading in my opinion.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The iPhone 4 may not get all of the headline features of iOS6, but there are a TON of little UI improvements littered throughout iOS 6. Most of them aren't really talked about and you only discover them as you use it. There is an over 100 page sticky on this forum detailing many of them and I still find some things here and there that I haven't seen posted yet.

There were quite a few UI gripes I had with iOS 5 that were improved upon in iOS 6 so it is well worth upgrading in my opinion.

Are UI changes worth an update alone though, especially when it lacks the headline features or anything actually useful? Genuine question, not being funny.

As a 4S owner, updating was a no brainer for me, but when I sit with my wife's iPhone 4 (which she wanted updated to iOS 6) side by side with my 4S I can't help but ask why she bothered.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Are UI changes worth an update alone though, especially when it lacks the headline features or anything actually useful? Genuine question, not being funny.

As a 4S owner, updating was a no brainer for me, but when I sit with my wife's iPhone 4 (which she wanted updated to iOS 6) side by side with my 4S I can't help but ask why she bothered.

It's not like updating is difficult. You don't even have to connect to your computer anymore since it's OTA. UI improvements are very useful as they directly affect how you interact with the phone. Heck, the fact that you don't have to put in a password every time you update an app was worth it alone for me. I also like that iMessage is fully integrated with your phone number if you have Mountain Lion and iOS6. The Mail app has quite a few improvements and I use it ALL the time. Safari in iOS 6 is noticeably faster and the benchmarks back it up.

Those are just a few of my personal favorites but there are way more things I'm finding I like. Much has changed and improved but because they aren't the headline features they don't get talked about.

Junkiphone1

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Is it possible for iPhone 4 with ios6 to be remotely spied on through frequency pairing(or a simple phone call made to target phone) just wondering...

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England

I was jailbroken up until a couple of weeks ago. The tweaks are nice, but some can introduce a little bit of lag (e.g. the quick compose/reply feature of Messages+). The only thing I find myself looking for is the lockscreen notification center of IntelliscreenX, but I don't mind giving it up for a, dare I say it, "snappier" phone.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
For the first three days my battery life was 20-30% worse off than normal (IE I could normally get through a day from fully charged to maybe 60%, but with iOS 6 I was hitting low 30s, the lowest on Saturday being 29%).

However since then it seems to have stabilised and I'm getting the normal usage I got prior to upgrading.

Since I don't use Maps or YouTube very often it really doesn't seem that different from 5.1.1.

The only bugbear I have is the VIP Mailbox, which clutters up my accounts page and is - given the work I do - 100% irrelevant.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Before you upgrade, use iFaith to backup your SHSH blobs so you can always downgrade to iOS 4, should you not be happy with iOS 6.

modular

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Before you upgrade, use iFaith to backup your SHSH blobs so you can always downgrade to iOS 4, should you not be happy with iOS 6.

yea i updated i 6, and jailbroke it. there's not much software working for it yet, but it'll come around. i'm particularly fond of the jailbreak tethering when im in a crunch and need to send files or something (unlimited data).

so far, i really like ios6. big difference coming from ios4. maps isnt too bad either.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I have my old iphone 4 that my fiance was using up til now. I just put ios 6 on it. Set it up fresh afterwards. Feels the same as before. Its not sluggish feeling.

I'd say do the upgrade, but know you may need to set up as new, as restoring from a backup could make it feel crappy or cause problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.