Iphone 4, iOS4 and Folders Response Time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGiver, Jul 11, 2010.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Hi everyone,
    I noticed this on my 3GS since I installed iOS4...when I open a folder with 3 or 4 apps or less it opens flawlessly, very smoothly...but I noticed that when I open a folder with 9 apps for instance, it opens with a slight delay (response) during the opening process...I had this on my 3GS and told myself i would not have this on the iP4 as it has a faster CPU/memory...but it is the same on my iPhone 4.
    It does not bother me much but wonders if some of you noticed the same?
    Thanks
    X

2. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

3. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I've noticed a delay. I hadn't correlated it to the amount of apps. You're probably right though.

4. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Yes the amount of apps and their size...

5. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I have a folder with six apps and there's a delay. They're all tiny apps though. Less than a MB each. I'm not certain the size matters.

6. michaelfields macrumors regular

I've noticed it on my phone but I have a 3G. I'll let you know if it happens on my 4 once it finally ships here.

7. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I did a test...First of all i have a folder wit 2 apps...not delay at all when i open it...very smooth. My folder with the max app (12 apps) is having a delay when i open it (a big sluggish). I have removed from my 12 folder app, apps 1 by 1. I had the delay until i got down to 9 apps...the delay was almost gone...then at 6 apps not delay at all.
    Weird...

8. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I checked and I have a delay with every folder no matter the amount of apps. It's not really a problem though.

9. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Same

10. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Tried my news folder (2 apps) and my games folder (12 apps), and there may be a nanosecond difference between the two...if you're looking really hard.

11. hyped1 macrumors newbie

I just tested it on my iPhone 4

There is no actual delay other than the obvious fact that a folder with 2 apps is going to be physically smaller on screen and a full 12 apps in a folder requires more screen real estate. Also if the folder is at bottom of screen it needs to displace more real estate on screen when opening. THUS it seems to take longer as it's obviously filling up most of the screen vs a small folder. :D

The phone may drop calls but in terms of speed and snappiness? Come on people, this is a very agile device! :D

12. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

there is for sure a "hiccup" of sorts when opening an folder packed with 12 apps opposed to a folder with 1-9 apps...and this is why its limited to 12 apps, user experience would be less pleasing with lets say a folder with 25 or so apps. There is some method to the mayhem of the 12 app limit

13. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Thanks for the replies folks. I agree it is not a big issue (compared to the other known ones) but I do not like the "hic-up" and beleive that it should be as snappier with 2 or 12 apps...call me OCD if you wish :D but if 12 renders the folder opening process less snappier then it should lower the limit of apps...yeah yeah i know you are going to tell me "then have less apps in your folders"...but still I found a bit odd to see that difference...

14. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I have done another test and checked again my 3GS...i did not use it for a week since i got my iP4 but the folders are strictly the same on both.
    Guess what! My folders with 12 apps on my 3GS open flawlessly with a very very light or no hicup while the same folder om my iP4 opens with that delay/hicup...
    How is that possible. I have restored my iP4 but it is still the same!!!
    Arggggghhh:mad::eek:

15. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

OK this is me again...I think I got what happened and why there is a slower response time on some folder vs. others.
    You can have 1 or 12 apps in a folder and it will actually open with a hicup/delay depending on where you place the folder.
    All my folders are on the bottom of the screen while on the top i have my SMS, App store, etc...apps.
    Please try this and let me know if you see a difference in opening folder response time:
    1- Put a folder with 12 apps and put it on the top of your screen: you should not see any lag/hicup when opening it
    2- Put the same folder on the bottom of the screen just above the tray...you should then see a lag/hicup when opening that same folder.

Can you please confirm you see the same thing?

16. BoleCailey macrumors member

No delay on my 4 with my folder with 12 apps in it.

17. WilliamG macrumors G3

Confirmed as correct on my iPhone 4. I think the reason it causes a delay nearer the bottom is because the phone has to do extra work with the icons above it. When you have the folder at the top of the screen, it's much, much smoother to open folders. I don't like the hiccups opening folders toward the bottom of my screen either. I'm so OCD that I have folders at the top of my screen for this reason!

18. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Even when placed at the bottom of the screen just above the tray vs. when placed on the top line of the screen???

19. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

You made my day, first because I am not the only one noticing this and secondly it is good to know I am not the only super-OCD around...we should plan going to a OCD-Rehab together :D
    Now I am working on re-organizing my folders...should only take a few...days :rolleyes:

20. WilliamG macrumors G3

Hah too true. It is bizarre that the iPhone 4 doesn't have enough horsepower to open a folder smoothly. Or it's just bad programming...

21. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Correct and so far I have not seen the iP4 being faster than the 3GS...

22. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

William, I have created my wife's 3GS folders today...and there is absolutely no lag/hicup on any folder, even having 12 apps folders at the very bttom line just above the tray...they open flawlessly. I think it has to do with a bad back up data during restore or something else...how frustrating...

23. WilliamG macrumors G3

Nothing to do with that. I set this up as a new phone. It's to do with iPhone 4, apparently.

24. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I will go to the Apple store checking other iP4 folders response time...but I know some iP4 owners do not have that issue at all...I think