Iphone 4, IOS5.1 HELP

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gaz2012, May 10, 2012.

1. gaz2012 macrumors newbie

Good afternoon and thanks for taking time to read. I'm desperately in need of some advice Im running 5.1 on my iphone I first used the tethered jailbreak little over a week ago Redsn0w 0.9.10.b8b. loaded fine no problems got cydia and various other apps.
    My battery went last night so needed to reboot, I put it in DFU mode no probs, tried the following reboot button in extras and keep getting "exploit failed" also tried jailbreak again but keep getting errors.

Can someone please give me some advice/help it would greatly be appreciated and thanks for reading

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

What is displayed on your phone? Are you sure you're in DFU mode?

A couple of ideas:

Try to shut down and restart your computer.

Try a hard reset - hold power and home for 10 seconds. Then follow the steps to "just boot tethered" in Redsn0w.

Try the hard reset above, then, while the iPhone reboots, hold the volume up button.

Delete and re-intall Redsn0w and try again

3. gaz2012, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

gaz2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Cherub
    Thanks for the advice, I have restarted the computer a number of times. Also reinstalled redsn0w. Just noticed that my email is missing it just comes up as a white screen. I know its hitting DFU as im following steps off YT and the jailbreak reads it as DFU mode.

I still have all the apps on my phone such as cydia, however they wont open, should they be there or removed?
    Should it just boot up from the button in extras or should i rejailbreak the handset?
    Thanks and sorry for 101 questions as u can tell im a noob to jailbreaking

----------

Ok i tried the points you made but im still getting exploit error on trying to jailbreak. Also if i hit just boot I get "USB communication error"

4. gaz2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just downloaded a redsn0w again and no joy. Someone please help:confused:

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Not sure if this will work, but save your SHSH blobs and APTicket with TinyUmbrella or Redsn0w and create a custom IPSW to restore back to iOS 5.1. Or you could try DFU restoring as new back to iOS 5.1, if Apple is still signing it. I don't believe that they are though.

6. gaz2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Kyotoma,
    Thanks for the reply its appreciated but you kind of lost me at save shsh blobs. Could you please put it into laymans terms, i really am new to all this but hopefully will pick t up as i go.

7. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

Apple are still signing 5.1 but not 5.0.1.

8. gaz2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so im thinking it would actually be easier to restore my 4 but its going to ask me to update to the latest ISO 5.1.1? any thoughts?

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You should have no problem restoring to 5.1. You need to download the IPSW and then shift+restore in iTunes and point to that file.

10. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Use this as a guide. Don't worry about the jailbreaking sections unless you want to.

To restore, pick your setup (iPhone, firmware version, and PC or Mac - all in the title of the write up) from the list of links here and follow that tutorial:

http://iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11&seid=2

It has links to the firmware you'll need to download, and links that tell you how to save your SHSH blobs (near the top) all in the guide.

11. gaz2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

I managed to restore, got email back working and safari. Managed to get it back to 5.1 from 5.1.1 but still getting exploit error and cant seem to sort it ffs

12. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

what you can try is download the 5.1 IPSW

Now go into redsn0w Extras/Select IPSW

select the 5.1 IPSW

Go back to Extras and select Just Boot