Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Not only it took hours to download and upgrade but now, my 32GB iPhone 4 is over capacity by 4.8GB! It was almost full on Version 4.3.5 and now I had to delete all my music and movies or else it wouldn't sync.
After that I've been trying to sync my contacts and Apps but it takes about 3 minutes per App to copy... I have about 100 of them...
It's slow to a crawl.
My contacts won't sync. I get all kinds of errors Saying it can't sync because the sync session expired or that the required disk cannot be found. I am plugged in thru USB... WTF? Another badly tested upgrade from Apple...
Why can't they ever release software that works before the x.0.1 update? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Not only it took hours to download and upgrade but now, my 32GB iPhone 4 is over capacity by 4.8GB! It was almost full on Version 4.3.5 and now I had to delete all my music and movies or else it wouldn't sync.
After that I've been trying to sync my contacts and Apps but it takes about 3 minutes per App to copy... I have about 100 of them...
It's slow to a crawl.
My contacts won't sync. I get all kinds of errors Saying it can't sync because the sync session expired or that the required disk cannot be found. I am plugged in thru USB... WTF? Another badly tested upgrade from Apple...
Why can't they ever release software that works before the x.0.1 update? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

"now, my 32GB iPhone 4 is over capacity by 4.8GB! It was almost full on Version 4.3.5"

....and this is Apple's fault because you can't manage your own content? If I handed you the keys to a Ford Pinto and told you its limit is 80mph, are you going to throw your arms up and scream at me when your transmission blows out while you're trying to do 100?

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
"now, my 32GB iPhone 4 is over capacity by 4.8GB! It was almost full on Version 4.3.5"

....and this is Apple's fault because you can't manage your own content? If I handed you the keys to a Ford Pinto and told you its limit is 80mph, are you going to throw your arms up and scream at me when your transmission blows out while you're trying to do 100?

I can manage my content just fine. They should have warn you that the OS takes up a lot more space than it used to... It doesn't matter. I'm getting a 64GB iPhone 4S on friday anyway.

----------

Everything works fine for me.

A little more info about all your problems and lets see if we can help you.

ios51.jpg

ios52.jpg

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I can manage my content just fine.

By your own admission you'd already been through this once... So tell me why you didn't think to check on what the file size of the update was before running it?

They should have warn you that the OS takes up a lot more space than it used to...

I'm pretty sure that there's some documentation somewhere you clicked through without reading... I could be mistaken. But usually I'm not.

It doesn't matter. I'm getting a 64GB iPhone 4S on friday anyway.

So am I but... for the record: I've had every 16GB model since the 1st gen iPhone and I pretty much expect that I'm going to forget my limits or run into a limit here and there. That's kind of the nature of devices that don't have unlimited capacity. *shrug* It happens... why get worked up about it?

Call me crazy, but I've been through thirty years of personal computing. I'm just unsurprised by any of this. This onslaught of complaints and multiple frowny faces happens every time ... it's really tiresome. And, if you're in my shoes, you can't help but wonder "do people ever learn?"

Think about it.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I'm sure by now you are aware that as a first adopter, you probably are taking some risks. I expect issues. I dunno, call me crazy... but I've been through thirty years of personal computing. I'm just unsurprised, dude. This onslaught of complaints and multiple frowny faces happens every time and, if you're in my shoes, you can't help but wonder "do people ever learn?"

Think about it.

Dude, I've been using Macs since 1986. I know what I'm doing... People complain when something is released ahead of time. Look at the other forums for 10.7.2. Grey screens, video problems on Mac Books, Kernel Panics.
THat's unacceptable. Apple should release software that works, that's why they have beta testers and developers, right?
I'm complaining cause I need my phone to work. I got a business to run and I can't sync my contacts. That means, I'm screwed until I can get it back up and running. I'm just following instructions but if you look at the errors I'm getting, they just don't explain why I can't sync anything...
I need this thing fixed to be able to operate normally. I can't spend hours fixing problems that shouldn't happen if they released software that was properly tested...
Here's another MAD face for u... I'm still mad as hell... :mad:

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Dude, I've been using Macs since 1986. I know what I'm doing... People complain when something is released ahead of time. Look at the other forums for 10.7.2. Grey screens, video problems on Mac Books, Kernel Panics.
THat's unacceptable. Apple should release software that works, that's why they have beta testers and developers, right?
I'm complaining cause I need my phone to work. I got a business to run and I can't sync my contacts. That means, I'm screwed until I can get it back up and running. I'm just following instructions but if you look at the errors I'm getting, they just don't explain why I can't sync anything...
I need this thing fixed to be able to operate normally. I can't spend hours fixing problems that shouldn't happen if they released software that was properly tested...
Here's another MAD face for u... I'm still mad as hell... :mad:

I get all that... my advice is: First adopters always take it in the butt. Trust me. My business unit was the first in the company to migrate to the newest release of Oracle BI. It was a total clusterf*ck. I've got to pick up the pieces and deal with it. If the IT/BI team had asked ME, I would have told them to wait a while.

I doubt that anyone at work put a gun to your head and demanded that you upgrade to iOS 5 this minute, today, and if you know the drill and your work depends on it, then why on earth would it be anyone's fault but your own for not heeding the wisdom that you already know if you've used Macs since 1986... that every first adopter is a guinea pig? If you can't afford to be a guinea pig then wait a few days until the kinks get worked out. How is this not already clear to you? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm sincerely puzzled.

If you've been around the block, you've got no reason to complain suddenly... you've experienced some of Apple's crappiest OS updates throughout the latter 80s and early 90s. This is cake, comparatively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.