iPhone 4 + iPad + iTunes sync without music?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mole42, Oct 11, 2010.

1. mole42 macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    I have an iPhone and an iPad. I want to sync them both with iCal and AddressBook on my MacMini. I want the movies and books on my iPad to stay there, and the iPhone to ignore those.
    I don't have any music on either device, except for a ringtone which I want on the iPhone, not on the iPad.
    I want the iPhone apps to stay on the iPhone, and the iPad apps to stay on the iPad.

When I sync, iTunes tries to put all the apps onto both devices, it tries to put the books onto the iPhone (and then tells me that since I don't have iBook I can't read them) and it duplicates all the addresses each time I sync.

Is there any way to get iTunes to act with any intelligence and treat each device as a separate entity that will be used for different jobs?

Any comments welcome!

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2004
    What you're asking for works for me; i.e. each device treated as a separate entity.

With one of the devises connected, select your desired settings (no music for example) and click Apply.
  3. guitardave62000 macrumors regular

Oct 2, 2008
    Just use the tabs across the top of the itunes window with each device. There you can select what you want on each one.