iPhone 4 -> iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by labballer88, Sep 24, 2011.

1. labballer88 macrumors newbie

Hey! I have a iPhone 4 that I lost, so I want to transfer everything to my old iPhone 3g (London-Edition), so I had to unlock it using the ipad baseband method. I want to use it on AT&T. Now, I want to backup the iPhone 4 on the iPhone 3G, but it does not let me due to an error message saying that the iPhone 3G is not fully updated because it is using the custom iPhone 3G baseband and I can't update it OR back-it-up. Does anyone know how I can backup my iPhone 4 on this unlocked iPhone 3G? THANKS!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The only way you could is if the iPhone 4 was running a firmware version equal to or greater than the iPhone 3G. If the iPhone 4 is running 4.3 or higher, there is no way to get the iPhone 4 backup on to the iPhone 3G.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Depending on what version your iPhone 4 is on, you might be able to.

the iPhone 3G is no longer supported by Apple and the last update it received was iOS 4.2.1, so if your iPhone 4 is on a higher OS, you can not restore your iPhone 3G using a backup from a higher OS.

Your iPhone 4 would have to be on iOS 4.2.1 or lower.

4. labballer88 thread starter macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 is on 4.3.5! So, would there be anyway of backing it up? I am mainly only interested in the text history...could I back that up on the other iPhone somehow?

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

No.

6. specify macrumors regular

I had the same problem and the only solution I found was this:

http://www.iphonebackupextractor.com/

If you had backed up your phone a short time before your time, all your texts and other backup stuff will be in the backup files itunes has and this program extracts it out and puts them into text files/excel files.

I haven't used it myself since it's kind of expensive for what it does and at the time I was hoping the iPhone 5 would be out by now so I'd just restore my backup to a new phone but...still waiting... :eek: