Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaktimage

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hello everyone,
I'm not a hungry consumer, i just reformat my iphone 4 and so many apps can't be installed anymore because not supported by IOS 7 and apple wont update IOS7 on iphone 4...

SO MY QUESTION IS: do you know until WHEN IOS updates will be supported on iphone 5 and 6?
In other words, would IOS of iphone5 become obsolete before IOS of iphone 6? If so any idea of the timeframe?

I need to decide witch iphone i'm gonna buy, so it wont be obsolete after a couple of years.

Thanks a ton for your advises
cheers
bruno

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
its not that they don't support the older phones, its just that after the 4s that you can't take advantage of the new updates and the features. right now they still support the 5c and 5s. they can run iOS 10. and the 5s came out just over 3 years ago.

and now the iPhone 4 is considered 'vintage'. which means if you take it to a store they can't fix it even if you want to pay.

asoksevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
London, UK
The iPhone 5 still supports iOS 10 and it was released in 2012 so I guess iOS 10 might be the last iOS it supports considering they dropped the iPhone 4s this year.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Apple doesn't list which devices will be supported for how long so we will have to wait until June when iOS 11 is announced to see which devices made the cut. That said Apple appears to be supporting iPhones for roughly 5 years from release now so the last iOS versions available may be:
iPhone 5 & 5c: iOS 10
iPhone 5s: iOS 11
iPhone 6: iOS 12
iPhone 6s & SE: iOS 13??

That said Apple could change their strategy at any point and choose to support devices for shorter or longer.

Reactions: pk7 and eclipsevv

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Apple doesn't list which devices will be supported for how long so we will have to wait until June when iOS 11 is announced to see which devices made the cut. That said Apple appears to be supporting iPhones for roughly 5 years from release now so the last iOS versions available may be:
iPhone 5 & 5c: iOS 10
iPhone 5s: iOS 11
iPhone 6: iOS 12
iPhone 6s & SE: iOS 13??

That said Apple could change their strategy at any point and choose to support devices for shorter or longer.
There is trend though where the S series iPhones are supported a year longer than the previous iPhone. The 3G ended with iOS 4 but the 3GS went to iOS 6. iPhone 4 ended with iOS 7 and the 4S got iOS 9. So if the iPhone 5 ends here at iOS 10, the 5S may go up to iOS 12, and the 6s maybe even up to iOS 15.

Reactions: Sunny1990

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I need to decide witch iphone i'm gonna buy, so it wont be obsolete after a couple of years.

I'd go with the iPhone SE. It has very good specs and a similar size to your iPhone 4.

The 5 may not get an iOS update next year, and the 6, being fairly underpowered, may only get 1 more update.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
There is trend though where the S series iPhones are supported a year longer than the previous iPhone. The 3G ended with iOS 4 but the 3GS went to iOS 6. iPhone 4 ended with iOS 7 and the 4S got iOS 9. So if the iPhone 5 ends here at iOS 10, the 5S may go up to iOS 12, and the 6s maybe even up to iOS 15.

Be careful not to over analyze.

Suffice to say to the OP...buy a 6s or SE and you will get many years out of your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomjleeds

shaktimage

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009

Thank you all for the great infos...
Yes, i guess i should look for an iphone 5S and up
Iphone 5S runs in 64 bits (whatever it means...) and according to what i have read, soon or later apple will drop the 32 bits, so there is a good chance that the 5S will last a couple years more than the 5.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
True and I think a big part of that has been that historically the S series phones have been a bigger speed upgrade than the non-S series, but I don't know this is a trend that can continue indefinitely. Given that the competition is nowhere even close Apple may not see any real benefit to supporting devices longer than 5 years.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
True and I think a big part of that has been that historically the S series phones have been a bigger speed upgrade than the non-S series, but I don't know this is a trend that can continue indefinitely. Given that the competition is nowhere even close Apple may not see any real benefit to supporting devices longer than 5 years.
I think it would be a good incentive for Apple because they can let everyone else know that their phones will last 5+ years while the competition lasts for about 2-3 years.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Thank you all for the great infos...
Yes, i guess i should look for an iphone 5S and up
Iphone 5S runs in 64 bits (whatever it means...) and according to what i have read, soon or later apple will drop the 32 bits, so there is a good chance that the 5S will last a couple years more than the 5.
If you can afford it, try to get an SE. It has most of the same internals as the 6s series.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Still have a 5S & there's a 6 and a 5SE here. The basic operational feel of these
3 models is very subtle in real life use with the latest OS. All quite good.

As long as you don't need a new model feature or newest OS, the older phones are great (assuming you have a good battery)

Good Luck

shaktimage

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Still have a 5S & there's a 6 and a 5SE here. The basic operational feel of these
3 models is very subtle in real life use with the latest OS. All quite good.

As long as you don't need a new model feature or newest OS, the older phones are great (assuming you have a good battery)

Good Luck
I really dont care about new model, smartphone nowadays do more than i really need (well if the new model can make my coffee?). My problem is when apps dont support old IOS. As for my example: i am very pleased with my iphone 4, use it as gps on my bike, on a boat, plus it take care of all my need when i travel BUT!!!
cannot install: chrome - skype - line - french weather - among others...

So when you guys suggest the iphone SE, is it a 5SE or a 6SE?
can't find any SE second hand here in france...
[doublepost=1479122400][/doublepost]from wiki site, seems to be only iphone 6 SE
don't see any iphone 5 SE
[doublepost=1479122751][/doublepost]ok, got the info here

The "iPhone 5se" was the name rumored for Apple's 4-inch iPhone before it launched on March 21, 2016 as the "iPhone SE." The iPhone SE combines the body of the iPhone 5s with many of the internals of the iPhone 6s, such as the A9 processor and 12-megapixel camera, resulting in a powerful but compact device.
[doublepost=1479122866][/doublepost]it just came ou last summer, so i doubt i'll find a second hand now...
the 5S seems to be the best compromise for under 200 euros (used)

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
iOS 10:IPhone 5 and newer
iOS 11:IPhone 5S and newer
iOS 12:IPhone 5S and newer
iOS 13: IPhone 6 and newer
iOS 14:IPhone 6S and newer

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I really dont care about new model, smartphone nowadays do more than i really need (well if the new model can make my coffee?). My problem is when apps dont support old IOS. As for my example: i am very pleased with my iphone 4, use it as gps on my bike, on a boat, plus it take care of all my need when i travel BUT!!!
cannot install: chrome - skype - line - french weather - among others...

So when you guys suggest the iphone SE, is it a 5SE or a 6SE?
can't find any SE second hand here in france...
[doublepost=1479122400][/doublepost]from wiki site, seems to be only iphone 6 SE
don't see any iphone 5 SE
[doublepost=1479122751][/doublepost]ok, got the info here

The "iPhone 5se" was the name rumored for Apple's 4-inch iPhone before it launched on March 21, 2016 as the "iPhone SE." The iPhone SE combines the body of the iPhone 5s with many of the internals of the iPhone 6s, such as the A9 processor and 12-megapixel camera, resulting in a powerful but compact device.
[doublepost=1479122866][/doublepost]it just came ou last summer, so i doubt i'll find a second hand now...
the 5S seems to be the best compromise for under 200 euros (used)
There is just iPhone SE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.