iPhone 4 + iPod Touch Apps Sync to ONE computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vchalupa, Jul 7, 2010.

1. vchalupa macrumors member

Hey guys,

I know this questions has been asked a lot but I had a slightly more specific question that I couldn't readily find any answers for. I just got an iPhone 4 and I currently have a 1st gen iPod Touch which I sync to my mac. I understand that I can sync both my iPhone and iPod to the same computer on the same account but is it possible to sync specific apps to each device?

For example, can I have separate folders (or something along those lines) in iTunes to allocate specific apps for the iPhone and specific apps for the iTouch and then say another folder for common apps? Now that I have an iPhone, I want to use the iTouch as a "family friendly" device with games and other simple apps there while my iPhone is for my daily use productivity applications.

Also, if this is possible, for the few apps that I might have on both devices, is there any way to sync the personal app data as well; login information, game progress, etc?

Thanks!

2. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I believe that you can select the apps you desire on that device on the "Application" Tab
    Just check the boxes for the Apps you want on your iDevice

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Plug in the device and open iTunes. Click on the device then the Apps tab. You'll get to pick which apps you want to sync from here.

That will be tied to the device, not the app itself and will not sync.

4. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Just plug either device into itunes then click on the apps tab for that device. From there you check the "Sync Apps" box at the top and then you can pick and choose which apps are synced to that device from your list of downloaded apps.

5. vchalupa thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick responses

So if it's tied to the device, is there anyway I can transfer that data from my iTouch to the iPhone so that I don't lose that data? Or is this something I have to manually do all over again? I've heard it can be done but I figured the users here would have a better scope of things.