iPhone 4 is dead, help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by toshibauser, Jul 1, 2013.

1. toshibauser macrumors member

My iPhone 4 is dead after accidentally dropped on the floor. The back cover is broken, and the iPhone can not be turned on. What should I do? Can iphone 4 be turned on without the back cover? If the back cover is the problem that causes the iPhone dead, do you think replacing back cover could solve the problem? Also, any suggestion is welcome.
    Thanks,:(

2. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

The back cover will not have anything to do with whether the phone turns on or not. Have you checked the LCD flex cable to make sure it has not come disconnected? Sometimes after a hard fall, if the LCD cable is disconnected, the the display will just show black.

Hopefully there is not any damage to the logic board, which would be the worst-case scenario.

3. toshibauser thread starter macrumors member

Actually, the LCD flex cable was not connected properly, and the battery cable was damaged due to a hard fall. So, I reconnected the LCD cable and replaced with a brand new battery bought from Amazon. It is working now without the back glass.
    However, the iOS 6 system is not running as smooth as before. I do experience more glitches. Should I re-install the iOS or is it something else?
    Thanks,

4. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Backup your phone, put it into DFU mode, do a clean install of iOS, and restore from backup

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Could be iOS. Or rather perhaps corrupt user data. Could be the battery you got is crap (or the connector is) and its having power issues. Could be the drop damaged something else.

6. toshibauser thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it is the power issue. I feel the battery is as good as the original. In addition, I have checked the logic board, LCD, battery, camera, vibrator and antenna, and they seem working well.
    I feel the phone is not responding as quick as before, especially when it is access personal data. Sometimes, I have to touch the screen twice in order to move to the next screen. I hope this is only the screen protector issue.

7. toshibauser thread starter macrumors member

If I should re-install iOS on my iPhone 4, should I stick with 6.1.3 or upgrade to 7 beta 2. In other words, how's the performance of 7 beta 2?

8. toshibauser thread starter macrumors member

I just re-install iOS 6.1.3 on my iPhone 4 and restore my backups, and everything become more smooth. It should be iOS problem; it did not recognize something properly after the hard drop. From now on, I will use a case which I didn't use.
    Any suggest for iPhone 4 case? I mean I really a good one which can prevent damage from a hard drop.

9. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

Glad to hear you got it figured out! As you probably know already, there is a ton of cases out there so it's really up to your personal preference. I am a huge fan of the ballistic Everyone cases. They are decently slim for a protective case, they have a built-in screen protector, and its super easy to open and close back up whenever you want. The LifeProof cases are also phenomenal and are water-proof. And then of course you have your Otterbox Defenders which provide a ton of protection as well. My only gripe with Otterbox is the silicone outer skin seems always get stretched out. However, Otterbox is covered by a one year warranty (I believe.) It can just be a pain in the butt going through the return process each time there is an issue with the outer silicone.

10. toshibauser thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely take a look on Otterbox cases. I am very glad that everyone in the forum tried to help when my iPhone died, and it saved me lots of money and time.