Iphone 4: is it really faster vs. 3GS...Honestly...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGiver, Jul 20, 2010.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

To be honest I do not find the iP4 faster than the 3GS. The only time I found it faster is on some apps where the apps opens a nanosec faster...other than that it is the same when it comes to open calendar, SMS, etc...

Do you find it faster? If so in which cases?

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

OMG yeah! pull up the camera on both... snap a picture and report back!

3. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

I've noticed major improvement with the Camera speed.

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I find it significantly faster across the board. App opening times are much lower, camera response is faster and mobile safari really is snappier!

5. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I agree and forgot the camera...the shutter is much faster...true.
    But there is nothing to compare regarding the overall speed diff b/w 3G & 3GS...I think.
    I have not noticed any significant diff in apps and safari though...

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

Have you guys tried the camera on a 3GS with iOS4 installed? Its the same instant click....

7. yudilks macrumors regular

I believe the real performance boost is when you start opening out more and more applications or a large application... iPhone 4 will have better performance as compared to 3GS due to its larger RAM.

8. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Has it been confirmed that the iPhone 4 is running at 1ghz? Or iz it pure speculation?

9. kre62 macrumors 68000

Most tech reviewers think its running at 800mhz based on web benchmarks vs the iPad. I'd tend to agree that it is underclocked to save battery.

10. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

and what about the 3GS CPU? 500mhz? What about the RAM speed diff b/w 3GS and iP4?

11. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

I believe 3Gs was 800 underclocked to 600 and half the RAM as IP4.

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

With iOS 4 the camera of the 3GS can also make 'instant' photos, very fast.

13. dwero macrumors newbie

Comparied with 3GS, iphone4 stay longer battery life.The more efficient chip housed inside the stylish case uses less power, which meas that you can get up to 40 hours music playback time.

14. -MRB macrumors 6502

Opening apps is pretty much exactly the same as a 3GS. I did a side by side test with my mates.

The only difference is camera speed really

15. pdpmojo macrumors newbie

The iPhone 4 is certainly faster than the 3Gs at opening more complex apps. Try simultaneously opening Street fighter 4. You will find that you are already in the match with the 4 compared to the 3gs. Additionally, I find that I don't have to restart the phone as often. On the 3Gs, I was forced to reset the phone at least every other day(because it bogged down), this is not the case with the 4.

Overall, it's not a dramatic speed difference, but it's there. For me, I use my phone about 12 hrs/day, being able to open things a few seconds faster here and there adds up.

The 4 is great and I know the next one will be even better.

Cheers.

16. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Major improvement on a lot of stuff. How could it not be faster? It has a faster processor and double the RAM..

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

In day to day it is a little faster, but there are things it is noticeably faster at like the shutter speed, web page rendering and it has significantly faster at 3G uploads.

18. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

19. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I came from an old 3G, so obviously it's lightening compared to that! :)

My Mum has a 3GS, and I'd say my 4 is slightly quicker. The 3GS is running 4.0.1 and the iPhone 4 is running 4.1.

20. dagomike macrumors 65816

It's faster, but not as noticeable as the 3GS over the Original/3G. I notice it most with lag on the keyboard and transitions/animations.

You're probably not going to notice it unless you go back to the 3GS.

21. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Rule of Thumb

In General as a rule of thumb Mobile Technology is about 7-10 years behind Desktop Technology and advances at the same rate, in terms of performance.

So if you were to go from a 3gs to the 4 in terms of speed and performance you probably wouldn't notice too much for normal tasks. But from an Original iPhone to the iPhone 4 you will see a big improvement.

In terms of web browsing basic pages and running these apps that never took long before you won't see much of a difference. As faster then you can respond*2 is still faster then you can respond... And many of the UI has delays in it to make the effects smooth.

22. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I came from a 3G directly to an iP4. Never had a 3GS. From 3G to iP4 is such a tremendous speed leap its not even fair. I have no clue however how it(iP4) compares to the 3GS...

23. Susurs macrumors 6502

Susurs

1) Try to open We Rule app where you have a lot of objects on your kingdoms map and you'll see the night and day difference between 3GS and 4...
    + 4 has to render more pixels but it's still smooth.
    2) Try to open some webpage with an animated gif movie... Same effect.

24. ectlu93 macrumors member

ectlu93

hands down the iphone 4 is the fastest iphone of all! ! !