Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
England
Hello everyone.

I purchased my GF a new iPhone 4 on Friday. I dropped hers into about 1-2cm's of liquid and thought the best thing for me to do is buy a new one. I know I could have taken it to the genius bar etc etc.

But we set it up yesterday and noticed today it will not make any kind of noise at all. The phone is not on silent and the volume is max. When you adjust the volume it says 'Ringer' so the phone doesn't think a headset is plugged in. When I say it will make no noise it does through a headset but not through the speaker. no lock noise, no key clicks, no music or tones.

I have tried the following:

Inserting a headset in and out.
Reset all settings.
Full restore on iTunes.

I have booked myself in for a Genius bar appointment and face a 60 mile round trip. I hope they will change the phone for a brand new boxed phone considering it was faulty out of the box.

Is there anything else that I have not tried?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Maybe a long shot, but this worked for me once - Get a flashlight and see if there is any foreign material stuck in the dock connector. Sometimes there will be a little something in there causing resistance on the connector that makes the phone think it's in an audio dock. Compressed air or gentle persuasion with a toothpick or piece of paper can solve that problem.

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
England
Just to let you guys know Apple changed my phone as a 'Retail exchange'.

The Genius said because of its age they would exchange it for a brand new iPhone from their inventory.

It has sound!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.