iPhone 4 is sooo buggy. It drops calls and crashes!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rob587, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I love this phone when it works. The screen and functions are unbelievable. But ever since I bought it, it drops calls, lags, and is just buggy overall. It really drives me crazy. Im going to be starting a new job soon that will require me to be on the phone with clients all the time, and I cannot have a phone that is dropping calls at this rate. It happens about every other week. But when it happens its like everything goes nuts. People tell me they called me and I dont have any missed calls. I'll also get voicemails and texts way later than when they were sent. Also sometimes I will have full service and texts just wont go out - even after I try restarting my phone.

I love all the features this phone has, but seriously I need it to be a great phone first.. I feel like im going to be downgrading hard by going to a Bold 9700, but I need the quality phone.

P.S. I have an case so its not an antenna issue.

Anyone have any opinions, thoughts, or comments?

2. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

hahaha, and just after I posted this thread, my phone recieved a new voicmail that my girlfriend left me 20 minutes ago.

3. alFR macrumors 68020

Try a restore (reinstalling the phone software/firmware) in iTunes and set it up as a new phone (don't restore from a previous backup). If that doesn't work, take it back to Apple as it's probably got a hardware issue.

4. martinmartin macrumors 6502

If your job depends on your cell phone, the iPhone 4 probably isn't the best choice. It drops way too many calls.

On the other hand, it's so amazing in every other way that it's hard to give up.

I have tons of dropped calls (probably 5/day), but I haven't heard of the other issues you've mentioned. Maybe you want to swap it at an Apple store and see if the replacement has similar issues.

5. w00master macrumors 65816

This sounds like a proximity sensor issue. Regardless, I honestly do not have these issues that you are having w/ your iPhone 4. My suggestion is to go to the Apple Store and see if they can replace it.

w00master

6. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

oh man I know what you mean... im addicted to words with friends, and the browser is far better than any other phone. But I dont think I can tolerate these dropped calls. Its so embarrassing, and really effects my business because its sales oriented.

I dont even know if I want to try a replacement. My last iPhone was similar. Its like theres just too much os for the hardware. Cant imagine if they included flash web browsing.

7. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

What is the proximity sensor?

8. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Also, my girlfiends iPhone 4 camera just flat out doesnt work. Not that thats a huge concern for me, but I just cant believe how many problems these things have.

Were both going to have to schedule genius bar appointments

9. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

my only niggles are the proximity sensor issue, and occasionally, I cannot answer the phone when it rings... the slide to unlock doesn't register, and therefore won't unlock until the call goes to voicemail, then I can unlock. Also, occasionally, the screen wont register my touch when doing the slide to unlock when a call comes in... I slide and slide my finger, but the little button doesn't follow. Usually 3 or 4 tries and it works.

All in all, I'm not too concerned with it, as I hope it is addressed in an upcoming patch. But since it is so infrequent, it's something I can live with if I have to.

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yeah, buddy. You picked the wrong phone. Both Consumer Reports and Walt Mossberg, two entities that are constantly in bed with Apple and their products, could not recommend the iPhone 4 for people who needed extremely reliable phone service.

11. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

oh yea, i forgot, that happens to me too. no worse feeling than not being able to answer an important call...

all of these things considered makes it an absolute deal breaker for me, and im surprised that its not the same for most..

Also, I didnt know that the antenna was still majorly affected with a case on. Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUMn7CEAtmw

so ridiculous

12. Jayman34187 macrumors regular

Apple been pretty wormy as of late... Sour warranty deals, alot of lying manipulating, alot of justified hate and alot of fan boys loving the sour apple....

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

What a load of malarky. Mine has been extremely reliable as a phone as have the many that my friends own. The OP obviously has a defective phone and should get it replaced.

14. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Hard for me to believe.

I know people across Canada, the US and the UK who now have their beloved iPhone 4's and not one of them have any problems whatsoever.

I've used mine internationally and it's perfect, best phone I've owned to date.

Maybe it's your AT&T service?

15. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'm not talking about your phone. CR and Mossberg likely had access to many different iPhone models and still came to the same conclusion. The truth is, some people have zero problems (like me) and some people have nightmare phones. The OP's story is hardly unique. The internet and other media is full of stories like his. It's just not a reliable and consistent phone. You can't possibly deny that.

16. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I dont think so. Att is pretty good in central florida. and even if it wasnt, i would want the best "phone" to deal with it. not one that has dropping bars when i hold it.

17. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

+1000

18. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

19. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

in light of all the problems, will apple let me return it outside 30 days of purchase? omg, its going crazy right now lol.. just got 5 texts at once.(ring, ring, ring, ring, ring) Im noticing a difference in bars even if my hand is just in front of the side, like not even touching it.

20. adztaylor macrumors 68000

If it is THAT bad, then I think you have a defective unit.

21. Hemmo macrumors regular

Go and change your phone i think its defective.I have no glicthes bugs or dropped calls works like a dream :)

22. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

On itunes, did you restore from backup or set as 'new'?? If you set as 'backup', then i recommend to set as 'new'. PS: you will lose all your info and you will have to add data on your phone again.

23. w00master macrumors 65816

It's the sensor that detects (for example) if you've put your iphone to your ear or not. When the sensor detects this, the touchscreen shuts off so that your cheek doesn't press any touchscreen buttons (like end call).

A number of iPhone 4 users have mentioned on their handsets a problem w/ the Proximity Sensory. Apparently, Apple is going to update it in the OS, but it hasn't come yet. That being said, this proximity sensor issue has been a real issue for a # of iPhone 4 issues and can be one of the reasons for tons of dropped calls.

w00master

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, until you have restored as new, you can't possibly determine that it's not a software issue. 'Upgrading' a computer OS (even on the same hardware, let alone to new) is ALWAYS a risk. If you restore as new and still have problems, THEN the next step is to return the phone for a replacement. There is no reason you should be having these troubles; the vast majority aren't.

25. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

According to 99.99999999% of the users on this forum, there is not antenna issue, cracks me up how cause they don't have issues there are no problems.