iPhone 4 Is The New "Vista by Apple"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Jul 2, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Saw this article and it made me laugh.

You've got to see the humor in all this madness that Apple has created. After all they were not only asking for this, Apple was overdue for a good screw up. Besides, there's no longer any point in taking any of this serious. Apples in denial, and the CEO says it's not an issue. Therefore according to Apple everyone else is all wrong and their right.

How hilarious is that?

Where's Robin Williams when you need him? ... :)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...oment-in-history/8815?tag=mantle_skin;content

2. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

The phone is fine...all of this BS has been blown out of proportion. Windows Vista sucked for every single user. This iPhone, when in weak signal areas, seems to get a liitle wacky. Complainers are dramatically magnified on the interwebs.

3. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

It's only been a week since launch. To Macrumors and the Internet community it's been a train wreck. Out in the real world, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. iPhone 4 is still a success.

4. Billy Mays macrumors member

Are you insinuating that touching a cell phone with one finger and dropping connections is normal and perfectly acceptable for other people? Not everyone is in a location to have magnificent signal strengths... Sure, there are locations where signal strengths are very low to begin with and any minute antenna attenuation will result in lost connectivity but no phone to my knowledge has been designed in such a way that it will fail with the touch of a single finger. You have to acknowledge there is a major flaw... to deny it would be intellectually dishonest.

5. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

Retire, relax and enjoy your family. It's just a phone.

6. Billy Mays macrumors member

7. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Them emails have been proven to be fake.

Also that's a terrible counter argument.

8. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Apparently, I was never a Vista user, because I never had any problems with it.

9. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Avg people - those who do not frequent tech blogs - love the phone and have no complaints. Either they are in areas with strong signal, dont squeeze the lower left corner, have it in a case, or do not see any difference in dropped call % relative to phones in general.

Everything is magnified on these sites. If this issue did not exist, page views for these sites would be 50% less IMO.

10. brholton macrumors member

I had Windows Vista on a computer before I changed to a Mac and it was completely fine. Plus my iPhone 4 is amazing, no problems at all, so I don't see it as a failure in the slightest.

11. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Neither did I, but I'm having "issues" with my iPhone dropping calls like a bad comedy act and I'm in a prime ATT coverage area.

12. andrewsd macrumors 6502

Actualy it's better

I was up in an area that has really poor cell service for every carrier just recently and I had better service then ever and better then anyone with my new iPhone 4. For me it's been the opposite and I also think it is haliorious how blown out of proportion this all is. Either way it will get fixed and be fine. If it's not one thing it's another and people will always find a reason to complain.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes and No. getting a $400+ phone and not being able to hold it left handed is not BS or being over blown. That said, vista was/is a dog, and it did not sell because everyone knew it was a dog.

The iPhone 4 is a great phone, but it does have one [fatal] flaw - the antenna and that was the one feature it was hyping as the next greatest thing. Having it hyped as being so much more superior then anything else only to find its causing to drop calls/lose all connectivity is galling and a huge issue

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1. My phone is flawless, no issues and so is the phones of everyone else I know, which as of today is 14 people including me I know with iPhone 4's.

You only ever see the worst on the internet.

15. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

As someone pointed out already:

Vista sold really badly and was an economic failure for Microsoft

the iPhone 4 has brought apple their most successful product launch ever and it will continue to sell like hotcakes

so what's this comparison based on, really?

16. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

What, exactly, do you base this comment on? This statement has absolutely no basis. It's just what to think.

17. dark1x macrumors newbie

Perhaps in the same way that iPhone4 is getting too much flack.

Vista was a solid operating system that entered a world built on a 6 year old outdated OS (XP). It received a lot of haters for reasons I'm not quite sure of.

Vista revealed how slow a lot of PCs out there really were by asking more of them. Apple does the same thing, really. Do you think they care about Leopard running perfectly on a Mac from 2001??? You can't even attempt that with Snow Leopard.

18. Sirphillyc macrumors newbie

Just quit being cheap buy a case or return the phone a fix will come as always

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Your not the only one who gets signal in weaker areas. Before my parents mailed my phone to me they tried it at their house and got 1 bar of signal. This is the first phone ever to get signal at my house. They were also able to make calls just fine on it.

Like the post on engadget showed, the iPhone 4 is capable of holding on to calls in weaker areas better. People just like to be drama queens. If your phone doesn't work, return it.

20. Katin macrumors regular

Agreed!

21. Billy Mays macrumors member

Hold on, let me get my PO box address so you can send me a case.

22. zoman504 macrumors regular

Very wrong. I've actually been surprised at the number of people, friends, family who have brought up the reception and yellowing issues on the iPhone 4. They don't read tech blogs at all. They have no agenda, for or against apple. This has become a widespread issue, the entire "stop whining" camp is gonna have to learn to deal with it until there's a fix. And sure, maybe Apple sells more iPhone 4's than any iPhone before, but I can promise you they will see a huge hit on next years model if they can't fix this.

23. grant.nytn macrumors newbie

And I would bet that most of the issues that are being magnified right now are by people that don't even own the phone and are just regurgitating what they've read. That is definitely the case on sites like Engadget. I, personally, haven't had any issues at all.

24. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Personally I am on my second because the first one sucked and Apple wouldn't do anything to fix it, then I got my second one thru Best Buy and it has been better still not 100%. I like the phone and IMO it is not all that, I was hoping for something way better, however improvements over the 3 series, I wouldn't call the i4 earth shattering technology.

Apple used to be way ahead in terms of technology, but I think in order to keep up or stay ahead of the curve with all the other MFG's, I think they rushed this one a little too fast thus creating this stir and angry community which expects more from Apple.

I feel the true difference will be in the up coming month, How they Handle these issues will be where the true value is, but they must do something, otherwise I think in the long run, people will move to other platforms with the exception of those Die Hard Apple iPhone users.

We will see as time tells all.

25. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

So 75 sq miles of Michigan has poor coverage?

This forum seems to be filled with a bunch of college student and ice cream truck drivers who do not seem to understand the business value in expedient communication.

I've said for a long time the line of sheep is growing and in 15 years the qualification for getting a job will being able to fog a mirror.

Most of the posts on this forum confirm that.

Every single Exchange user has problems, every last one, Microsoft's Exchange team published a statement on it today, 2 of my Exchange providers said the same thing. The 'fix' from Apple only seems to fix 1/2 of the problems.

Dropped calls are not a reception issue, I have full bars, all the time, and I suppose 27 out of 27 dropped calls in 3 major metropolitan area's is just a rare occurrence when my 3GS worked fine?

Here is the thing, every one who uses their phone for pleasuring, texting, or Facebook doesn't seem to care too much about how their iPhone 4 works. Everyone who uses it for business thinks its a flaming pile of crap.

iOS4 was sent out without sufficient testing for Excange, here is the statement from MS:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2010/07/01/455342.aspx

Apple wants to cater to the Latte crowd. Try calling them with any question related to the Enterprise and their problems are evident.

Say what you will about Microsoft but on the Enterprise level when there is a problem, a real problem, the communication and information I get out of them is fantastic.

As someone else said, nothing wrong with Vista, just if you didn't have a C2D and 2GB of ram it exposed some performance issues.