Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaymzkerten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
So I've followed the handy guides stickied to the top of the forum here, yet for some reason I am having issues getting itunes to accept the update. I'm using PwnageTool 4.1.2 to try to update to JB 4.1, but when I get to the step where I'm supposed to restore it in itunes, it tells me "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."

Is there something I'm missing here? I've tried loading both the custom 4.1 and the official 4.1 and it gives me the same results either way.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
That error message tells me you are trying to restore to a firmware you aren't allowed to. You need an SHSH to restore to that firmware. Also sounds like you aren't in DFU mode if restoring to an PwnageTool firmware. You also need to press option/mac shift/windows then click restore to select a custom firmware. TinyUmbrella can also help using its TSS server to allow this restore.

jaymzkerten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
I followed the iClarified procedures to ensure that at the end of the CFW setup I was in DFU mode, and when I went into itunes it even prompted me that my phone was in DFU mode. I also held the alt/option key down and selected the CFW 4.1 (vice the official 4.1), and after it did its check to see if it was valid it gave me that error. I'll try running tinyumbrella though.

jaymzkerten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Meh, seems to have been just that. Fired up TU and it immediately was able to proceed onward. Why couldn't things have stayed as "simple" as loading CFW on a PSP?

Thanks for the help.

jaymzkerten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Or I spoke too soon....after it finished loading the CFW it said that it would reboot the device and then itunes would pick it back up. Then it went back to saying it was in recovery mode. So I proceeded to try again to reload it, but now it keeps giving me a new error: "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1600)."

jaymzkerten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
So I've followed the procedures to try again on redoing the PwnageTool setup from scratch, and continued to try to load it again. The load goes all the way to complete and reboots, but it still comes back up in DFU mode. I even check the log in TU and it shows a DFU device disconnecting and then reconnecting. What is causing my phone to not come out of DFU mode?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
If restoring with iTunes, try changing your "hosts" file so that it points to the Cydia servers instead of the Apple ones? Maybe that will allow your device to restore to 4.1, because I know that they pretty much try and force you to use 4.2.1 now, hence why a 4.1 restore (hacked or no) can't get approved during the verification process.

jaymzkerten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Ok I've finally managed to make more progress. I gave up on loading 4.1 and went up to 4.2.1. I followed the steps to load 4.2.1 in itunes, errors out with code 1013, and then proceeded to put it into DFU and JB it with greenpois0n. It goes through the entire process, including seeing the text scrolling on my screen, and then it reboots. After the reboot though, it comes back up to the screen showing the ipod cable with the itunes logo.

So *now* what am I missing?

jaymzkerten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Is what I'm seeing the activation screen, and if so will just connecting it to itunes to activate restore my previous activation (regardless of it being JB), or will itunes complain about me having an unsupported iOS or something like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.