Iphone 4 Jailbreak Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by qwertyman007, Mar 6, 2011.

1. qwertyman007 macrumors newbie

Ok so i recently bought an iphone (unlocked (payed full retail preice)) And I got from apple becuse i wanted the 1 yr warranty, but now im tempted to jailbreak, and my question is:
    If i jailbreak and then something happens to my phone (accelerometer doesnt work, glass cracks w/e) and then i restore will apple know that its a jailbroken phone?

edit>> ive used search and i couldnt get a clear answer. I need either a person with which this has happened to, or a clear answer. thanks ^^

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

As long as you restore to factory firmware thru itunes, Apple wont be able to tell and you'll have no problem swapping it out.

3. qwertyman007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx but...

Thx for the reply, altho i need 100% confirmation that apple wont recognise its jailbroken, because i bought it from the apple store cuz i wanted the warranty, or i could hv gotten it from a local classified website.
    so basicaly i dont wana end up paying an extra 100 dollars for nothing.

and how do you do a full system restore? i dont use itunes much and im very unfamiliar with it.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Apple will only know if the iPhone is jailbroken, if you specifically tell them or they find out by looking at your iPhone.

To restore your iPhone, connect the iPhone to iTunes. Then when prompted in the iPhone section hit "Restore". The iPhone will then restore to factory settings removing any trace the jailbreak.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What kind of 100% confirmation do you want from anyone here?
    Maybe print out a verified hackers and jailbreakers page with signatures?
    Just search a little, this same question has been answered a million times. You should find plenty of info.
    You plug in your JB iphone to itunes and hit restore. That's it.
    It will then restore your iphone to official firmware and setup as new. And once its done you can bring it to Apple for any warranty work or replacement with no probs.

6. qwertyman007, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

qwertyman007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if thats the case il go ahead and jailbreak it...

Thanks alot guys :) edit:> im usong 4.2 fw so if i JB with green posin and restore it will remove alll traces right? (i mean the exploits and everything it used to JB)

7. qwertyman007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Bump again, i have another question:

After i Jailbreak, then update to 4.3 iOS (removing Jailbreak), and then Restoring it, wouldnt that be a better option to completely remove any traces of jailbreak? Cuz now til iOS is released, il get the chance to try out if i realy want the jailbreak...

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. Restoring or updating the firmware thru iTunes will always remove the jb.

9. qwertyman007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply again...
    Im realy dead scared in jailbreaking, and loosing the waranty.
    So is there realy a 100% chance they will repair my iphone if something happens to it after i restore...?

Sorry, im beeing a lil annoying, but i just cant risk the $100 extra i spent just on getting a warranty...

Also another question--> My friend has bout a few apps, is it possible for him to transfer them to my computer as i notcied those apps are saved in the "mobile" folder of the itunes directory...

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dude if you're that scared dont do it then.
    Jb is not for everyone, sounds like you shouldn't bother.
    If it takes you that long to decide and figure out how jb works you won't get further with jb and installing cydia packages and addons.

11. qwertyman007 thread starter macrumors newbie

i really wana jailbreak, and know how to....

i just wanna have confirmation that apple will fix my iphone if something happens to it (after i restore that is)

12. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Plug into computer.. open iTunes.. choose your iPhone in the side menu.. then hit the restore button! Simple!

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The last 2 times I have jailbroke my phone, I have had issues restoring to new firmwares due to getting errors that make it stuck in boot cycle

Almost makes me not want to try it anymore at risk of messing up my phone somehow...

14. qwertyman007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wel, that one sentence is enuf to convince me into not jailbreaking...i dont wana end up having a similar problem and end up paying for repair...

15. mgeyster macrumors member

mgeyster

Try reinstalling iTunes every time before you restore or JB. Seems to work for me every time.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that's happens when you or Tinyumbrella changes your hosts file to point to cydia.
    Then when you try to restore thru itunes it gives you an error and wont go thru.
    If you want to restore to official firmware you gotta make sure your hosts point to Apple's servers or open up T.U. and go to Advanced and then Uncheck the box that says "set hosts to Cydia on exit"

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I did do the latter this last go around and I still had to kick it out of recovery. Why would that be?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    Did you use TU to kick it out of recovery?
    Did you update the baseband or you had TU running in the back to maintain your unlockable BB? Was it an i4 and on what firmware did you update to and from?
    If you restore to official firmware and your hosts are set correctly to point to Apple then it shouldnt give you any problems.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea I had to use TU to kick out. I don't care about the baseband so not special steps to preserve it

And yes, an ip4. First instance was from 4.01 to 4.1 where I forgot about the chcekbox for the server and used TU to kick out. Second time was from 4.1 to 4.21 and I unchecked the server box to point at apple in TU, then quit TU, restored, got error, hade to then open TU and kick out

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    You sure you clicked "apply Changes" on TU before you quit TU though cause that doesnt sound right.
    TU couldnt kick the 4.2.1 i4 out of recovery though cause of a new Apple patch that wouldnt let iphone 4's without an updated bb to be kicked out of recovery on 4.2.1 Up untill shortly that Tinyumbrella has been updated now to do it and its done by a new process of putting the phone into DFU mode etc.....

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I could have swron I did but you never know

I upgraded to 4.2.1 way late into the game and I had to use TU to kick out of recovery when upgrading from jailbroken 4.1 to non jailbroke 4.2.1. I always update my baseband with updates (in other words, I don't preserve my basebands)

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cool, so it was either user error or a bug somewhere.
    But technically it should work fine if your hosts point to official apples servers and you do a restore.

23. qwertyman007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so..

Has Anyone JBed their iphone/any other idevice and have had it repaired by apple after restoring it?

24. qwertyman007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump -->

So no one here has got their iphone/or any other device replaced by apple after jbing it?