IPhone 4 Jailbreak questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Mastamarek, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Mastamarek macrumors regular

Mastamarek

Hey everyone,
    so my contract with t-mobile ends this month and I was considering the swtich to AT&T. I do have some questions though. First of all I don't need iPhone 4 to exist but its a nice device that I could actually use. I will be moving to France next year for my 2 year internship. so If I go with AT&T and their 2 year plan, how I'm gonna use my phone over there!? lol. can I jailbreak it and use the sim card from whatever provider they have over there!? I'm an complete iPhone noob so plz dont get mad at me. lol. I read the FAQ for iPhone and it says that my iPhone 4 can become completely useless if I do something wrong. Is that true!? well anyways, I'm just looking for tips on how to use my iPhone 4 here in the States and then use in France without any issues. is that even possible!?
    thx in advance,
    Marek

2. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

all you have to do is buy the iphone 4 with an ATT contract. Jailbreak and unlock the phone. then use a sim card in france. but you will have to cut the sim card so that its only the gold plate showing because the iphone 4 uses a micro sd. and you will get a free case with your iphone 4 if you get it before september 30th. also i would buy the iphone soon because you dont want one with 4.0.2 software other wise youll have to wait a while to jail break it

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

You can unlock an iPhone 4 (assuming when you buy it the software that is on the phone is unlockable). If you buy the phone this year leave to France next year, you will still be indebted to ATT for another year unless you pay an early termination fee.

As far as "bricking" your phone and making it unusable, thats nearly impossible.

4. Mastamarek thread starter macrumors regular

Mastamarek

hey mate, thx for the input. That reminds me of another question. I read that when your iPhone is jailbroken you can't update it!? is that correct!? so I would have to flash it to standard settings, then update it and then jailbrake it again!? lol, as I said I'm an iPhone noob. also whats wrong with 4.0.2 software ? does it have some sort of a security that doesn't allow it to be hacked!?
    thx once again.

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

The reason you can't update is is because there is a constant cat and mouse game between jailbreakers and apple. Everytime Apple updates the software, it breaks the current jailbreak. The jailbreak is available 4.01 or earlier. 4.02 broke the jailbreak (and therefore the unlock). Now 4.02 needs to be jailbroke which could take a while (or might not happen until 4.2 comes out).

6. Mastamarek thread starter macrumors regular

Mastamarek

yep, thats my issue as I only have one year left here and then I'm off. I was just thinking about buying an iPhone over there but then what!? lol. when I come back I still wont be able to use it here!? lol. I guess, I'm just looking for a way to use the iPhone in both countries.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Someone else might know the answer to this, but in some countries you can buy factory unlocked iphones. Perhaps france is one of them?

8. Mastamarek thread starter macrumors regular

Mastamarek

oh I see. lol I hope the jailbreakers win this one ^_^ lol. I would donate to teh cause if that would save me buying 2 phone with different activation plans. lol

that sounds like a win! lol.

Also, I just thought of it right now ... since the Iphone can be jailbroken I can use it with T-mobile right!? so then I don't need to go with AT&T for this one year!?

lol, this is complicated. I wish it was simpler.

9. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

They always do, it just takes time.

Yeah, that is an option. You could pay full price (599/699) and use it on tmobile and then not have the problem of being indebted to ATT

10. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone