iphone 4 jailbreak, unlock 4.3.5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jscarf, Sep 12, 2011.

1. jscarf macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've looked through the forums, google and such, made the most sense of everything I could.
    I have a brand new, never before used iphone 4 on 4.3.5 and 04.10.01. I understand I can only do a tethered break and unlock right now. I have this guide in order to jailbreak -
    http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...e-4-using-redsn0w-mac-[4-3-5]-tethered-17676/

I just have two questions I haven't been able to clarify on.

A) After I complete this jailbreak, what steps would do I go through to unlock?

B) Once the 5.0 release and subsequent hack is developed, what is the plan in order to apply an untethered jailbreak and unlock? Do I need to upgrade to 5.0 then re-jailbreak and unlock? (just so i'm aware)

Apologies, this is all greek to me, and I want to make sure I do it right. If there is an existing thread that covers this, I will remove this one. I am using a Mac for this.

Cheers

Jesse

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

There is no software unlock for your baseband (and baseband cannot be downgraded.) The only unlock solutions for your phone are either persuading the carrier to unlock it (which won't happen if it's AT&T) or using a Gevey SIM. Plenty of Gevey discussion can be found in a search of this forum.

How you will jailbreak iOS 5 if an untethered JB is ever released will depend on the hack used. Some are applied with the firmware already on the device, some install firmware as part of the JB. So the answer at the moment is, it depends.

3. jscarf thread starter macrumors newbie

i prefer not go the gevey route. The devteam tether jailbreak says nothing about the baseband. I understand then, that you can jailbreak the device with these specs. There are tethered unlock videos and such on the net, but they don't say which baseband they have. There are theories, apparently they work (who knows), that you can use redsnow with ipsw 4.3.4 to unlock...no?

is it a unanimous, resounding no, with my specs, i am unable to unlock this thing for the time being?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's no such thing as tethered unlock and yes the devteam has plenty of info about what basebands can be unlocked. Yours is not one of them.
    In other words you CANNOT unlock it at the moment and you have no other options besides gevey.

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

As AJ said, there's no such thing as a tethered unlock. Yes, you can have a tethered jailbreak if that's what you want for reasons other than unlocking. A JB isn't necessary to use most of the Gevey models.

The ONLY baseband that was ever unlocked via a hack on the iPhone 4 was 1.59--the original one. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is trying to sell you something, or a troll stroking his ego by snowing you into spending hours trying to restore your f'd up phone. Since baseband also cannot be downgraded on the iPhone 3Gs & or 4 (or most 3G models), unless you had bought a phone from within the first 3 months or so of launch which had that original baseband preserved from that time, through all firmware upgrades, the phone cannot be unlocked via software. Be glad Gevey exists, even with its flaws, or there'd be no unlock at all for those with basebands later than 1.59.

As for the "no unlock for the time being"--if it were me, I personally wouldn't hold my breath on another unlock, period. We've gone multiple firmware and what, three or four baseband revisions without one? That's a lot. Apple's gotten very good at this part of the game, and it's in their best interest to be. After all, they can now sell factory unlocked phones at a serious price point even in the US.

Understand, we aren't telling you this to ruin your day. It sucks for everyone equally. We're trying to keep you from making your situation worse, because it's easy to do when you're desperate to get your phone working the way you need it to.

Since your phone is brand new, if you don't want to go the Gevey route (and yeah, it's a nuisance at best), can you return it and buy a factory unlocked model? Honestly, if I was dependent on a full time unlock, I'd spring the extra money for one I could depend on. If I only needed to unlock for travel though, Gevey would be the solution due to its low cost.

Barring that, can you return yours & get a hold of a 1.59 preserved baseband phone instead? Hold off your purchase until the iPhone 5 comes out, there will absolutely be some for sale, maybe even on this forum. There are plenty of us who DID preserve it.

6. jscarf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the timely responses.

Apologies, I confused jailbreaking and unlocking in regards to a tethered application.

I'm in Canada. I got the phone from my Mother, who got it from her carrier. I'm with a different provider so I can't return it. On the upside, it was subsidized so it was cheap. I've posted on Craigslist as a last resort to maybe swap with another brand new phone with my carrier. So far only purchase requests. I can of course sell it and try to grab another one off CL but as this was a gift, again, I'd like to exhaust myself until I lose my hair over this...first ha

I appreciate you're not trying to ruin my day...but you are ;) ha

So, is it then the consensus, that if the developers on our side of the equation have yet to unravel 04.10.01...that when ios5 comes out, apple will retain that baseband?

sorry if this has been covered already in our discussion, but I'm new to this...:
    If ios5 comes out, and Apple either retains 04.10.01 or upgrades it...would dev-team not find a way around this baseband or the next, in order to overcome the new OS? so if i upgrade my phone to 5.0, it would also upgrade my baseband, or retain it(whichever apple goes with), but then register my phone unlockable as per the ios5 hack???

ha does that make sense? was that clear?
    I heard you say you're not optimistic about any new unlocks for specifically my device. But this concept was bouncing around in my brain.

Are there knock-off geveys? have you any experience with their sims?

----------

i had a 3g 3.1.3 on 5.12.01 which was apparently unlockable and that got sorted out. so I'm optimistic here. :)

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Jb sand unlocks are different. The only unlock option is gevey and so far will not work past 5.0. Sorry to be brief I personly answers this a few hundred times.

8. jscarf thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey labman,

brief is cool, as long as it resolves my issue.

I'm sure this is a common question for all you experts.

Still though, my question pertains to the up and coming hack for new OS.

I repeat from my last post.

"If ios5 comes out, and Apple either retains 04.10.01 or upgrades it...would dev-team not find a way around this baseband or the next, in order to overcome the new OS? so if i upgrade my phone to 5.0, it would also upgrade my baseband, or retain it(whichever apple goes with), but then register my phone unlockable as per the ios5 hack??? "

Does the hack overcome both baseband and OS5? Might there be some hope to perhaps get a full unlock then, for my device?

Do I have a hope to overcome my obstacle after the new OS hack? Can I overcome the baseband with the new OS and subsequent hack?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We dont know what hack they will release, when, if and for what firmware version or baseband.
    Your guess is as good as anyones.
    Im sure they will put out a JB past 5.0 but unlocks are way harder to come by and they dont come often.
    Once there is one you gotta fight to maintain your unlockable baseband and if you dont have an unlockable bb then you're sol.
    You can always sell it and buy a factory unlocked one. They are sold almost in every country now including the US.

10. iFiend macrumors 65816

Generally speaking, when there is a new major point update there is a new baseband that comes with it. There will be a jailbreak, albeit tethered, for iOS5 almost immediately after it is released, at least for the iPhone 4. I'm on it myself right now. The iPhone 4 is pwned for life via the limera1n exploit. Remember though, it is tethered. The devs will have to find an untether exploit once the GM of iOS 5 drops.