iPhone 4 jailbreak/unlock issue

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mcecks, Jan 16, 2011.

1. mcecks macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I just want to say that I'm a total noob with this stuff and hope i didn't do any permanent damage to my iPhone 4.

Hopefully someone can help me get this thing working, or at least tell me when it will work in the future.

The iPhone is running 4.2.1 and I tried to unlock it using ultrasn0w through the tethered jailbreak on redsn0w but I failed, and don't want to do anything more until I know what it is I'm doing. Now I'm hoping I didn't mess with the baseband or anything but can someone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks so much

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You would have had to have used the Pwnage tool to upgrade your baseband, not redsn0w, so you're good there.

Secondly, you can't (or it's incredibly rare) do permanent damage to your phone by jailbreaking.

When you attempt to re-jailbreak your phone, just make sure that you follow all of the directions on redsn0w very carefully. If you are in the middle of jailbreaking and you stopped, you'll have to do a complete restore before you can attempt to jailbreak again.

3. mcecks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much, would anyone be able to give me a step by step guide with programs and firmwares I need, I just don't want anything to go wrong.

4. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Are you sure you've an unlockable baseband?

What version is your modem firmware?

5. mcecks thread starter macrumors newbie

The modem firmware is 03.10.01, is there an unlock currently available or do i have to wait.

6. mcecks thread starter macrumors newbie

as well, is there a way to have an untethered jailbreak on 4.2.1 as of yet?

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

No there is not.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Nope.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The most recent unlock is for the 3G and 3GS on 5.1.3 or higher using the ipad baseband and tethered jb. The iphone 4 wasn't invited to the party.
    Read http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ to stay up to date on jb and unlock.

10. mcecks thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the info. so how long do you think it will be until this thing can be fully functional?

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No one really knows. You can keep up with the dev team on twitter, but you have to wait until they announce on their page.