iPhone 4 jailbreaking 5.01 and unlock question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Asuran, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Asuran, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

Asuran macrumors newbie

I tried to do some research on this, and did a search on the forum but was unable to find the exact answers I was looking for.

I found 3 different sites on iClarified on tutorials of how to jailbreak ios 5.01. I am just unsure as to which one would best fit my needs.

I am familiar with using PwnageTool for Mac, and came across this link.
    http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=19014

The thing I am concerned about the PwnageTool is that it does not have the updates like the Redsnow has to fix the minor problems they had when initially releasing. Although it does provide me with a custom ispw which would let me later unlock my phone with ultrasn0w. Am I correct about this?

Next I found the updated Redsn0w link and walkthrough.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18991

this one with the updated redsn0w 0.9.10b4 for OS X
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/14857834236/untethered-holidays

The third one that I found was the tethered jailbreak but it also allowed for you to unlock
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=17344

So my question is, what would be the best way to jailbreak untethered and preserve my baseband in order for me to unlock my iphone 4 that is currently running 4.3.1? All while being able to have all the bug fixes and issues worked out from the jailbreak updates. I tried looking for a more simple walk through, that would explain what to do exactly, but I was unable to. Also I had read about the cydia app "Corona" but read that some people had problems with their phones after using it.

So if anyone could help me with a detailed explanation as to what my best option would be with the lease amount of flaws in the jailbreak that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

Only way to update and preserve baseband it's to create a custom ipsw with Redsnow, pwnageTool for Mac and snowbreeze for Windows.

Every Jailbreak have had revisions after coming out. You can simple re-run the jailbreak using redsnow (unchecking the option to install Cydia) when an new revision comes out or, installing the Corona packages which the chronic team updates when a bug it's fixed.

3. Asuran thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't know that redsn0w was able to preserve baseband, I have always done it with PwnageTool. So your saying that the new redsn0w 0.9.10b4 will be able to create a custom ipsw and then all i have to do is just go and get ultrasn0w from cydia? I want to have a untethered jailbreak and unlock though, so just trying to make sure that I will be able to get that just from redsn0w Has anyone had any problems with running 5.0.1 on the older baseband 01.59.00?

4. b0bab0i macrumors regular

You use redsn0w 0.9.10b4 to create a custom IPSW under extras.

Open up latest iTunes and hold shift/option + restore and choose that No_BB custom IPSW file made and restore.

After that you reopen redsn0w 0.9.10b4 and jailbreak your iphone. Then open cydia and install ultrasn0w 1.2.5

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to put your phone in pwned dfu mode before you try to restore to the custom ipsw.

6. Asuran thread starter macrumors newbie

Will Redsn0w walk me through the process for the most part from start to finish? From creating the custom ipsw, and then putting me into DFU mode and tell me to restore with custom ipsw? or is this something I will have to do myself? I am new to using Redsn0w and just unfamiliar with it.

7. b0bab0i macrumors regular