Iphone 4 jailbroken

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bolsen78, Oct 14, 2010.

1. bolsen78 macrumors regular

I just jailbroke my Iphone using Limera1n last night. it worked so I am happy. The only thing is how do I unlock it now? Or is it unlocked after you jailbreak it? I have only jailbroken my ipods never my Iphone. Also what kind of sources work with the Iphone 4 I only have 3 that I have added by watching youtube and googling it but it doesnt seem like a lot of things will work with the Iphone 4 just yet. I am not complaining cos I just wanted the jailbreak so I could use themes. i love it so far. Just curious if its unlocked now as I am going to be out of the country in december to jan and would like to be able to use my phone there. Last time I died cos I couldnt text for a month until my friend bought me a cell phone out there so I could text him. If anyone can help I would appreciate it thanks bunches!!!

2. Atothendrew24 macrumors member

This better be a girl.

3. bolsen78 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I am girl why?

4. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

What firmware are you on?

Settings>General>About>Modem Firmware

If it's not 1.59.00 then you are unable to unlock as of right now. An unlocking tool might be released soon (limesn0w, dunno if it's legit), if not then after 4.2 is released.

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

What firmware and baseband is the phone running? If 2.10 baseband, there is currently no unlock for it. You will have to wait for next update of Ultrasnow. If you want to use themes, download Winterboard through Cydia. Then, download themes you want, go into Winterboard and enable the theme. And, if you are on 4.1 firmware, some apps need to be updated to work. Just be patience.

6. phixionalninja macrumors member

n00bs come in every gender, lay off the sexism.

@bolsen78: I've never unlocked my iPhone, but as I understand it, you're likely screwed for the time being. Unless you updated to iOS4.1 using tinyumbrella to preserve your 1.59 baseband, you now have the latest, non-unlockable baseband, and there's no way to roll back to 1.59. So until an unlock tool becomes available for the latest one, you're stuck. Enjoy your jailbreak though!

7. bolsen78 thread starter macrumors regular

My modem firmware is 02.10.04. I can wait for something to come out as I wont be leaving until the end of december anyways. I know how to do the themes and all of that. Just wanted to know if it was unlocked or anything. But if I cant do it yet I will just wait for something to come out for the unlock. Otherwise just go without a phone again when I leave. I have another question I want to jailbreak my iphone 3gs the frimware for it is 05.14.02 is that one able to unlock if I jailbreak it?

Ha yes I am enjoying the jailbreak. Mostly I have loved the themes which is why I chose to jailbreak the Iphone. I just purchased it I believe a week ago. I know now that I am unable to unlock it but I can wait for that. Like you said just enjoy the jailbreak at least and I am!! LOL!! Thx!!

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

You updated your 3GS to 4.1 as well, therefore no unlock. And don't count on there being one before your trip--it MAY happen, but there are no guarantees.

Please do some serious reading before you go any further with this. Themeing can be a lot of fun--my iPhone is all pink and brushed silver--but the potential is there to screw things up if you don't know what you're doing. Reading up on it all means you won't make any more mistakes like this one.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Good chance there won't be an unlock in December

10. bolsen78 thread starter macrumors regular

I have read up on these things I have had a jailbroken Ipod for ages now. I just wanted the themes. I do read but sometimes google doesnt always have the answers. If I have to go without a phone thats fine I was just asking as this is the first time I jailbroke my Iphone. I have only done the jailbreaks with my ipods. I do not believe I made any mistakes I just purchased the phone like a week ago. So w/e firmeware or BB was on it was out of my control if thats what you are talking about. I just read about the jailbreak yesterday and decided to do it last night. I do not DL anything unless I read about it first which is what I did on my ipods. Or I come on here and ask questions or look for similiar questions. So I am not being stupid and mess up my phone cos i would die without it.

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Your answers were on the first page of threads in this forum, so forgive me if I doubt that you checked things out before taking action.

And you've had both a brand new never updated 3GS and an iPhone 4 for a week? That's basically what you've written, though I'm guessing the 3GS either came from someone else who updated it or you indeed have had it and did upgrade it at some point. But going by what you said, if these phones were both new and you were counting on unlocking at least one of them, then yes, you did make a mistake by not making sure at least one would be unlockable before you bought them. There are plenty of secondhand 3GS models on the market with the correct baseband for an unlock.

Making mistakes is how smart people learn. They're nothing to get defensive over and not necessarily a mark of stupidity--if you're willing to learn from them.

End of lecture. Now for something that might be helpful.

BiteSMS offers international texting via an internal "credits" system. You can use it for regular carrier texting as well, but the credits may be an option for you overseas even if your phone is not unlocked. You'll need to see if they use data and how much, because I haven't researched it that deeply. But perhaps if no unlock comes through before you leave, you can purchase AT&T's smallest international data roaming plan along with some Bite credits and just be very careful about watching your consumption. We used the AT&T $20/20 MB plan this last year in Europe (without Bite) and didn't come home to an overly outrageous bill. We did make sure to turn cellular data off unless we absolutely needed it.

If you think you'll need to do this, contact AT&T well ahead of time to figure out exactly how they'll bill you, as they prorate these things around your billing cycle dates. You want to be sure you don't go over during the prorated days, this was one thing I didn't do, and it did cost me an extra bit of cash when I went over--I was still under the 20 MB overall, but I didn't realize the first few days of my trip were prorated until the cycle date change, so I went over for those days.

The latest version of Bite should be available through Cydia later today, and their website should contain all you need to determine if it will be helpful in your case. I do highly recommend it though even if it won't work for your trip, it's an awesome program for people who do a lot of texting as it's packed with features you don't get with the stock Messages app. There's a free trial, and you have the choice at the end of either continuing free, with ads, or paying for the app with no ads. Best money I've spent post-jailbreak on an app, and I use it all the time with my regular messaging plan.

Good luck, and hope you have a terrific trip!

12. bolsen78 thread starter macrumors regular

No I had the 3Gs before the Iphone 4. Both were mine I had updated the firmware on the 3Gs before I had purchased the Iphone 4. Something like that lol I didnt get them both at the same time. It was my mistake for updating the 3Gs though I believe I saved the SHSH on TU though for that one before I had updated it. I am not sure how that works though. I did research about unlocking my Iphone 4 but no luck which is why I had asked about it. I will give the Bite a try though and if no unlock before I leave I can call AT&T as well. But this will be out in Dubai so I am unsure if itll be possible. If anything I just go without my cell phone for a month. Keeping my fingers crossed for an unlock though!! I also had a free texting thing I had Dled in Itunes on my Ipod that worked I cannot for the life of me remember the name though but it worked for texting off of WiFi. He has WiFi so ill google and see what the heck that one was as well. Thank you for being so helpful and sorry if I sound like I was being defensive towards your comment. I wasnt and I apologize.