iPhone 4 JB Question....

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jrodsep, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Hi guys just jailbroke my ip4 running 4.2.1 with redsnow. I know that it is a tethered JB but how am I supposed to install the updates to cydia, SBSettings and activator? they all require a reboot. Can somebody help me out? THX!!!!

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

When you have to reboot, run redsn0w and choose the option "just boot tethered right now" or something like it. It runs the jailbreak again. The untethered jailbreak should be out by Christmas Eve and will be a one click jailbreak that doesn't require a restore.

3. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I just kept my phone plugged into the computer and it rebooted just fine for me. Updates and all! If it won't start back up after the reboot, then you can go through the steps of redsn0w again, and select the "Just boot tethered now" option instead of the "Install Cydia" option and It'll boot right up.

Like I said, when my iphone was connected to the computer it booted up just fine for me.

I have a 3GS with the OLD bootloader so that could be a factor?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It gets even more complicated because it's really a semi-tethered jailbreak for newer devices. That means that as long as something like mobile substrate isn't installed it'll boot without having to be tethered.

5. jrodsep thread starter macrumors 6502

jrodsep

First time I've heard that it's a "semi"tethered JB. The only options I've read is the one that uses 4.2 beta 3 and one from Comex.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It won't matter in a few days either way.

7. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I've heard the rumors. You're thinking that an untethered jailbreak is on the way soon?

8. jrodsep thread starter macrumors 6502

jrodsep

It isn't?

9. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I never said that it isn't?

But I just read the article and it is confirmed that an untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1 beta 3 will be coming out soon. An untethered for all other versions of iOS 4.2.1 will be out shortly after.