iphone 4 keeps dropping wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rjack22, Jul 5, 2011.

1. rjack22 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My iphone4 keeps dropping the wifi connection at home and the only way i can get it back is to switch the phone's 3G signal on (which I normally don't have on). Even then within 10 minutes the wifi signal will be gone again so I have to go back and switch the 3G off and on again.

This problem only started yesterday and nothing at home has changed, no router updates or changes of that nature.

The router is a Draytek vigo 2820n, not the most user friendly router I have to admit but seems to be working with everything else in the house.

Any help would be very, very greatly appreciated.

rj

2. I like all OS's macrumors newbie

I like all OS's

What firmware are you running and are you jailbroken?

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Same question applies.
    What firmware are you running and are you jailbroken?

4. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

This seems to be an on going issue with many iPhone users. I've been experiencing it since I upgraded to the iP4. But it's a small price to pay considering the the myriad of issues I had with 4 3Gs running 4.0 - 4.0.2. From a lot of the things I've read, the issues seems to be with the antenna. Apple said that the new iPhone 4s that they were rolling out this year would have fixed the issue, or at least lessened it. I am currently on my second iPhone 4 since upgrading back in Oct 2010. Wi-fi does seem to be a little better, more stable, connects easier, disconnects less. But still do have issues. Hopefully, reports are right that one of the main things that will be addressed with release of the iPhone 5 is the wifi/antenna issue.

In the meantime, try another router. Some routers are better than others. Even though your current router maybe working fine for other wireless devices, it may not work well enough with the iPhone wifi antenna. A better router, may make things better. It may not fix the issue entirely, but may make your connection a little better. I'm currently using the D-Link DIR-655, which I find works a little better than my previous Linksys WRT54G. Not just for my iP4 but also for my other wifi equipment as well. And if you haven't already done so, try doing a reset of your network settings on your phone. If that doesn't help, do the reset and restore method. Hope this helps.

5. I like all OS's macrumors newbie

I like all OS's

All VERY true however for some reason certain firmwares when jailbroken cause very strange issues. I'm 4.2.1 because when I jailbroke my iPhone 4 on 4.3.3 my 3G wouldnt work and on 4.3.2 it came out a tethered jailbreak which is a big issue when you sometimes run your battery into the ground like I do. Aside from that certain firmware just seems worse off about wifi and a restore may help with the issue as you mentioned and if you're jailbroken I would recommend the restore as you're first step after a reboot to see if the issue lies in the jailbreak.