iPhone 4 keeps rebooting after screen replacement.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by qwertylol, Feb 17, 2011.

1. qwertylol, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

qwertylol macrumors newbie

Hi!

Yesterday I got my white iphone 4 parts that I changed out of my black parts through a guide on youtube. Everything went well and put in place, I turn it on and everything worked. Five minutes later my cellphone rebooted and I did not think it was anything to worry about. After that it kept restart every minute. I thought it was wrong on the white parts, so I switched back to the black parts again but it continues even now. It works 5min until it gets "No Service" then goes off the screen and the phone is restarted.

There is also something odd about the battery meter, sometimes it can be 0% and sometimes 100% when it started again. And i cant even charge my battery. Nothing wrong with my battery, i tested it on my brothers phone, works fine.

I have tried everything. Took everything out and put it back in again, done a clean restore from itunes, etc.. Do not know what more I can do, so I turn to you.

Anyone know what to do or what the problem is?

Thanks!

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

sounds like you forgot to turn off the device before disconnecting the battery. that's usually the cause of this problem as far as i've witnessed with others in the same situation.

but the bottom line is that the device is hosed. it's not a software related condition.

maybe, just maybe the damage is limited to the battery itself and a swapout can fix it, but i highly doubt it.

3. qwertylol thread starter macrumors newbie

So my iphone is useless..

4. patp Guest

If you pulled the battery while the phone was still on then yes it is most likely hosed.

5. qwertylol thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt, i turned the phone off and then i started.

6. geepeegee macrumors newbie

I have got the same problem - I sent the phone (3GS) away to a company to have a new screen fitted due to water damage - plus a new battery as the life of the old one was very short.

However now the phone keeps rebooting every few minutes and the charging percentage is hardly moving.

7. qwertylol thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like the same problem. Do you use your anyway?

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Why can't this be fixed? Shouldn't it be the same as unplugging any other electronic and then replugging?

9. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

no. it means that the process caused a short, resulting in damage to the device internally.

it's actually a long explanation on the basic principles of electricity that's just not worth my time to explain, but you can research the topic in a number of places.

10. Emild01 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Could you please explain why it shorted in the proccess even though he turned the phone off? And if you dont mind telling how to prevent it from happening again it would be well appreciated ;-)

I have had the same problem but havent been able to find Amy topics about so it would be great if you wold take the time to explain.

Thanks m8 :)

11. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

i cant say for sure what happened since i wasnt there to witness the act. but it could be from using a conducting tool to disconnect the plug from the socket or simply being too rough with the connector when reassembling since the keyways on the plug arent precise enough to prevent crossing pins on accident. rough handling of the ribbon cable attaching the plug to the battery can also cause a separation of it from the battery enough to create a short situation, hence why i recommended trying to replace the battery itself to see if that alleviates the problem.

the battery is NOT user replaceable, as described repeatedly in the instructions, on apple's website, and on the plastic tab sticking out from under the battery. because it's not, they didnt design the plug and socket as durably as they could have to prevent a short. by not being overly careful, an accident can happen.

plus, you cant turn off an iphone completely. you can sleep it by momentarily pressing the sleep button, recycle it by holding both the home and sleep buttons, or put it into deep sleep by pressing and holding the sleep button. but even if you "power it off" it still consumes power as proven by leaving it in that state over time and turning it back on... you'll see that your power level has drained.

plus, just because someone says they powered it down before teardown doesnt mean they actually did. people make mistakes. but people will lie especially when it's a careless mistake. i'm not accusing anyone of lying, but i AM saying this issue occurs frequently when the battery is disconnected when the device is torn down with the power on. i know this because i have done it myself more than once.

12. Emild01 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer :)

I do some iPhone fixing in my sparetime and have experienced some of these issues myself. Such as wifi begins to be faulty and date and time issues, also that the phone reboots on its own after a repair.

Your suggestions are and get me if im wrong.:

- use non conductive tool for connecter removal

- be carefull in battery connecter removal

- make sure not to twitch the ribbon cable from the battery

- make sure battery connector is correctly placed over the motherboard before connecting it.

Im pretty carefull in my repairs and would honestly say I did all of those things in the process. I have Foundation out that there is another evil thing you shouldbe worried about and make sure to take it in consideration. Static electricity!

Especially the iPhone 4 has more sensitive components than 3G and 3GS so make sure to use esd hardware to kill all possible static electricity in order to be sure you do not have to deal with these problem. That and the mentioned precautions must be checked!

I had to learn the hard way make sure you dont ;)

13. qwertylol thread starter macrumors newbie

I have come to the conclusion that it is the battery connector that is broken. Is it possible to fix without replacing the entire motherboard?

14. Alistair1990 macrumors member

Alistair1990

I have an awful feeling that my iPhone has the same problem. I fitted a white front and back as my original screen was smashed. Everything was fine but the vibration motor didn't work so I opened it back up today, fixed the vibration but now I have my phone rebooting every few minutes.

I'm really hoping that it's just the battery and I've ordered a new one. If it's the logic board then I'm screwed :(

15. tristan7583 macrumors newbie

Iphone4 reboot screen replacement

my iphone4 experiences these same issues, but with one clear distinction, it worked perfectly for several months then these reboot issues happened... alike you fellas all say within a minuet or so after turning it on. i will bullet point my experience... draw conclusion and ask others for their opinion:

- iphone4 working perfect( i stepped on it, cracked screen, and changed myself)

- all esd precaution, and delicacy was used. and worked perfectly after reboot.

- @ this point i have iphone5 and have removed the sim from iphone4.

- i used the iphone4 for several months as a ipod touch / wifi / etc... with battery life usually lasting 1week to 2weeks depending on use ( i didn't use it often but it was always on and around. Note: at this point there is OS4 loaded and it had never been plugged into itunes after screen change!

- my twin toddlers wanted to both play peppy-pig at the same time, they were playing on my iphone5, as the app would not work on OS4 / iphone4. So.. i decided to plug it into itunes to see if it was possible to put latest OS on it and itunes said ok here's OS7.1.1 and it all loaded / rebooted no issues, for the first 2 minuets then constant rebooting issues and weird readings of the battery meter... NONE of which were present while it had OS4 and not been plugged into itunes.

Now i've spent the last 20 years working as an embedded design engineer for an Asia-Pacific Motor Manufacturer and am very proficient in designing circuits and writing op-code for a number of atmel, motorola mcu's, and the time line of events here suggest that this is a 100% software related issue and seemingly very, very deliberate on apples behalf. This practice over time would / does force most people to only use apple as a service centre, or force a device replacement when service costs are weighed.
    This is very very easy to do and would have been thought out well in advance , and would be nothing more than a list of serial_numbers of screens produced apple themselves didnot use in phones; this list is then sent to flash on device along with an OS that checks the screen-serial on device against the list. most modern i2c/etc.. internal buses carry the device serial along with alot-lot more...

with a time-line of events this transparent, i am just struggling to see it any other way; I am open to opinion... but an old-german engineer ' Uwe Dressel' taught me long ago to only look at the evidence, there's something a-foot ;)

cheers tristan