iPhone 4, keeps saying "Accessory not optimized..."

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Sep 26, 2011.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

After saying that, the phone won't make sound. Ill have all the sound on, but it won't let me turn the sound down or up.

So I reset settings, did all of that.

When I blow into the dock connector of the phone, it fixes it for about 10 seconds. Any help?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Do you have the Universal Dock or the dock made for the iPhone 4?

[​IMG]
    Universal Dock

[​IMG]
    iPhone 4 Dock

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah but I never use it.

I put the phone in, and its fine. Right when I take it out, the message pops up. This just all started this morning too.

4. appleisgod macrumors regular

This used to happen to mine and was caused by a buildup of dust or something else in the dock connector on the bottom the phone. Some compressed air did the trick and I haven't seen the notification since.

5. icewing macrumors 6502

This started happening more and more frequently to my iPhone 4, cleaned the dock connector with a dry toothbrush and got a small dog out of it...but started doing it again. Finally ended up making a genius appointment at an Apple store, they exchanged it free for a new refurb that I haven't had any problems with.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I had exact same problem as OP, and this was the solution.

7. katana92 macrumors member

katana92

i was having same issue and in my case it was little bit corrosion in dock port. at some point some liquid got into dock port. rain drop etc.

corrosion cause it to short circuit and iphone thinks there is some thing plugged into dock port but unable to identify exactly what type of product and that point phone throws up message saying accessory not optimized etc.

use tooth brush an drop few drops of nail polish remover onto tooth brush and give dock port good clean.

some times problem is with inner side of dock in which case you have to open back battery cover.

open back battery cover and make sure there is no obvious sign of liquid or some corrosion etc and make sure white markers are not pink.

ta

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

9. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

My iphone has no water damage.

10. katana92 macrumors member

katana92

how do you know ? have you checked ?

some times its moisture .

phone in pocket and you walking along in rain etc

have you tried stuff i suggested above ?

11. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Both sensors are white, it hasn't rained in god knows when in Orange County. I've never brought my phone in the shower area, near a beach, or when I go to the gym.

But anyways, it has stopped for about 6 hours now. I just kept blowing into it. Gonna get compressed air tonight.

Is blowing compressed air into the dock safe?

12. katana92 macrumors member

katana92

i think you not paying attention to what i suggested above ......

any way blowing is always safe

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I've used compressed air on my 3GS, it's helped, but be sure you hold the can upright so it doesn't spray liquid into your phone. Also, hold the dock connector up to a vacuum cleaner after the compressed air to get any loose dust. I know it sounds dumb but someone recommended it to me on here once and it really seems to help.

14. NJFP macrumors 6502

My iP4 is new. Plugged it into the USB port in my Toyota Tundra truck via the white cable that I use on my laptop. I get the same message, not optimized for this accessory. Can't play anything thru the truck's radio. It will charge however.

When I plug in my first version iPod, it works.

15. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

This is normal. Your truck radio is not designed to work with your iPhone this way. It's a completely different issue from the OPs.