iPhone 4 keyboard "misfire"?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by g8rdmd, Oct 16, 2010.

1. g8rdmd macrumors member

I've got an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1. There is an intermittent problem with the keyboard, and it seems to only affect text message input...

Sometimes, when I'm typing, the keys will suddenly not track correctly. For instance, if I press on the space bar, it will continually enter a "v" or a "b" even though I'm CLEARLY on the space bar. It happens for all the letters--I try to type a "k" and it thinks I'm pressing "i". It is not all the time and there is no apparent rhyme or reason as to why it happens.

During a single text message it can start out typing fine, mistype in the middle and then, as if by magic, the problem disappears again and I can finish the message. It's getting very annoying and I am wondering if anyone else has seen this issue :mad: :confused:

2. kawasakirider macrumors regular

I had an issue last night where I was quoting someone on a forum and then out of nowhere the phone backspaced continually until the quote was gone. Then earlier today I thought I was having the same problem you're experiencing, but I think I'm a tiny bit too fast for the iPhones keyboard and I'm Jonas deliberate as I should be on the keys.

No other problems so far. Excellent phone, I love mine.

3. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I'm running iOS 4.1 on a 32GB iPhone 4. This happened to me once the other day. It was quite a surprise. I ended the text message and then did a reset on the phone. Have not experienced it since. Seemed to me it was just a fluke.

4. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

This problem has been on-going for me =( except it only affected the main keyboard. Backspace, shift, and the like are fine. It's easily solvable by typing the international keyboard key. Thank goodness. I though I had a defective phone. Hope they fix it soon

5. g8rdmd thread starter macrumors member

I'll have to give that a try next time, thanks! Glad (or sad) to know I'm not alone...

6. b00ya macrumors member

This happens to me about 100 times a day lately and I'm ready to throw my phone into a lake. It's incredibly annoying and 90% of the time the keys are completely off and it's nearly impossible to type a message.

Does anyone have anymore info?! I can't find much. Phone is useless atm.

When I close the app and lock/unlock my phone the keyboard will be normal again, but 1 min later it'll be back to broken. lol. My first gen iPhone is better than my iPhone 4, what a joke. ;)

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Can you please elaborate on this? Are you saying that you're using a different keyboard other than the standard one and it's working fine?

8. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

i think the problem is different for everyone but here's my experience.

like for instance, when it starts to "misfire", only the letter keys become slightly off. When i put my finger on B, the phone highlights the F key. if i put my finger on K, it registers as U. i can press keys like delete and shift accurately however. since i have emoji installed on my phone, the press the Int. keyboard icon, which is the globe wireframe looking icon left of the space bar (only appears if you set up multiple keyboards in Settings>General>International>Keyboards), and it takes me to the emoji keyboard. then, i press the Int. key again to take me back to the Qwerty and it seems to recalibrate instantly. the touch screen is accurate again. it's very weird.

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I've actually noticed this as well... I'm almost inclined to believe it's some sort of bug with iOS 4.1. I used to be a fantastic typer and found it very easy to type on the device, but since iOS 4.1 I've found myself making mistakes hitting the wrong keys; however, I often watch what I'm doing very closely and it seems to be less human error and more some sort of "misfiring" issue, like the rest of you guys are describing.

10. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

hey has anyone confirmed a fix on this little issue? im downloading 4.2 right now :D

11. Mugs macrumors regular

Hi. I also have the same problem and it is still there even after 4.2. Do we know of any fix for it?? Thanks

12. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

this happened to me the other week too actually.

i was typing a text message and one of the letters would not highlight (cant remember which one). i had to exit the text and start again. hasnt happened since though.

13. Arnenys macrumors member

I've started to experience this problem since yesterday, I thought it was since I upgraded to 4.2 but it looks like it only happens to iPhone 4 users?

14. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

bump from hell lol

anyways... i think i found the reason why MY phone always uncalibrates. since i said before that i need to switch to the emoji keyboard to recalibrate while texting, i uninstalled emoji (originally from appzilla, so i pretty much uninstalled appzilla). after that, i never had the problem again. i didnt reinstall appzilla/emoji until about 3 days later and i still haven't encountered any problems! :D

15. moocherx macrumors newbie

It types by itself!!

I've had a similar problem, and had to FORCE the local Mac reseller (this is Belgium, no REAL Apple store) to take the phone back to be investigated.

With a clean screen, not a single visible scratch, the phone has started developing - albeit over a period of months - the habit of missing letters after using for a few seconds. I could type any letter for example, and get only a string of YYYYYYYYYYY's. I could hold my finger 1cm above the screen, and it would press something on the screen - a letter, an app.

And sometimes it would open an app I hadn't clicked on - but not one next to it, one on another row and to the left. It's like playing Chess!

Of course, none of this happened when I took it into the Apple reseller in Belgium. He argued with me that they will do nothing with it (I've never had this attitude problem in a REAL Apple store!!). But the phone is useless to me as I can't get half way through an SMS or email.

If they return it with the same problem, I'll just have to sell it on eBay and make it someone else's problem. Which I really don't want to do. I've borrowed someone's Blackberry at the moment - I thought I would hate it, but at least I can type a darn message!