Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
I just spied this on the NZ Herald website, do any kiwi forum members have any information on this?

Tech fans excited about tomorrow's launch of the iPhone 4 have been left confused after all references to the new gadget were removed from Vodafone New Zealand's website today.

The Apple iPhone 4 was due to be launched in New Zealand tomorrow.

A Vodafone spokesman declined to comment and directed questions to Apple, whose representatives have not yet returned nzherald.co.nz's calls.

But it is understood that Apple's deal with Vodafone is off and the gadget won't be available from New Zealand stores tomorrow, only online from Apple.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10662184

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Wow, um, ok, caught off guard there. All signs were go, all lights were green, but now? Hmmm, I think I might drop by one of the little apple resellers and ask a few questions.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
SO it's 8:08am and there's no change on either the Apple NZ nor Vodafone NZ website. No iPhone 4 today by the looks of things - on the Vodafone forum someone claims that there is a sign in a Vodafone store in Wellington confirming this.

Mystic385

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
New Zealand iPhone 4 Launch - FAIL

Well it's launch day and there are no iPhone 4's.

Well not just no iPhone 4's, there's no information.

Vodafone has removed the iPhone 4 stuff from it's site, as reported in the New Zealand Herald our main daily paper here.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10662184

There is suggestion that it's a contract problem with Apple and Vodafone but that wouldn't explain why there are no iPhone 4's available to buy or listings for them on Apple New Zealand's store, or any other store here that i can find.

Could it be we have a launch without any phones available and so everyone has just pulled the iPhone 4 from their websites?

When asked for comment Vodafone said talk to Apple according to the Herald and Apple so far has provided no comment.

This is uncharacteristic for an Apple product launch.

Oh the intrigue!

Has the stock been lost in the post?
Did the parcel get delivered to the wrong country?

We were due to be up for launch today.

Does anyone have any news of what happened. And don't tell me the people in Oz swiped our box of phones. LOL.

I look forward to hearing what happened.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I hope this isn't true-I'm waiting for the Ikonic Edge guys to make an iPhone 4 case :( Hope they get an iPhone 4 to work with...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Apparently Vodafone has now said that it'll launch at 12 pm on a "first come, first served" basis if you re-sign or open a new contract. Apple will apparently offer online sales "later tonight" (Edit: 8 pm). If you want to go prepaid or use Telecom, then I'd suggest waiting for Apple.

yezza

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
Apparently Vodafone has now said that it'll launch at 12 pm on a "first come, first served" basis if you re-sign or open a new contract. Apple will apparently offer online sales "later tonight" (Edit: 8 pm). If you want to go prepaid or use Telecom, then I'd suggest waiting for Apple.

Source please Nermal?!

Btw - iPhone 4 image back up on Voda's homepage :)

Mystic385

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking to JBHifi they say the launch is off. No one in NZ is allowed to sell them yet and they don't know when the new launch date will be. (Edit: That was around 9.15am)

I just spoke to Apple and they say the launch will be happening and they will have the iPhone 4 available on their website from tonight (edit: they did say around 8pm) and their phone staff will now work the weekend to deal with sales.

He couldn't tell me anything more about it being available in stores. Hmmmm. Is their a breakdown with Vodafone and Apple. Looks like we'll know more tonight.

I can imagine now that the stores may indeed have stock but aren't allowed to sell them. This is all guesswork and should be ignored while we wait to find out what is happening.

Even more intrigue.....

The suspense....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.