"iPhone 4" leak affects on iPhone resale value.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GrindedDown, Apr 24, 2010.

1. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

One of the beautiful things about Apple products is that they generally maintain resale value more-so than other comparable (lol if there are any) devices (obv great for when you can upgrade, thus "subsidizing" the cost). One of the reasons seems to be that an upgrade isn't a "guaranteed" thing because of Apple's secrecy.

Example: Who knows when an updated version of iPad is coming out? No?!....When does the next netbook upgrade come out?

Anyone think that this leak of the phone could hurt resale value pretty badly?

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I think the bigger effects are going to come from 4.0 OS not the hardware leak. Even the 3g, which is only two generations old, will be unable to use some of the best "tent poles" of the new OS.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's common knowledge that Apple update the iPhone every 12 months so I don't see it making much difference.

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

My thoughts exactly. Which is why I find all those "Hint of new iPhone coming" or all the similar rather annoying since its quite obvious they do a refresh every Summer (June/July).

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

6. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Agree - no impact. I've sold every gen iPhone after the next one is released for full retail. The demand for the prev gen outside the US is strong at all times.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

8. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

it might increase the resale value of the 3G S somewhat, but its more because of OS 4.0. i'm sure there's plenty of ppl with a 3G that want multitasking but may not want to pay full price for the new iPhone so they buy a 3G S for less