iPhone 4 - LED Flash Color

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlin615, Jul 18, 2010.

1. jlin615 macrumors regular

Somehow I was under the impression that the color of iPhone4's LED flash is a white light. I've just looked at it and it's a yellowish-white. Is that the same for you guys'?

2. dangson macrumors newbie

Just looked turned it on with one of those flashlight apps and it's definitely white for me. Maybe the lighting in your room is extremely yellow.

3. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

4. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean it's white, but I was expecting the same white color LED light as seen on Apple's desktop and laptop computers, like a "cool white" instead of "warm white".

5. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it like a warm white light on your guys' LED flash?

6. lawrence32 macrumors member

I could see that my flash had a yellow tint to it, but then I found out it was the way I was holding my phone. The light would bounce off of my finger and make the flash look real bad.

That my not be the case for you but it was for me.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Thread police.

Personally, I haven't seen a post that their LED is warm from a color temperature standpoint. I didn't think he was talking about the photos, but if he was, it wasn't the standard green blob.

Edit: After seeing Gav2k's post I turned mine on, too. I would still call it bluish but it's very subjective. The first picture I took with the iPhone's flash was cooler than my digital camera's flash. So it may just be by comparison for me.

Cartman-Cop-silly-police-of.jpg

9. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I've just checked out couple display phones at my local Apple store. Comparing side by side, mine is slight more yellow compare to couple units they have on display. :(

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just looking at it means little. You would need to know the color temperature in Kelvin and the spectrum covered. I'm sure it's temperature is a little warmer (lower) than 6500º Kelvin to give a more natural daylight look (about 5500º).

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Except for comparing it to other iPhones as they did and saw that the color was warmer than the store's.

12. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks PNutts!

Yea there's about 500-1000k kelvin temperature difference compare to the ones displays in the stores. It really ticks me off my LED flash looks yellowish white on my 6-days old unit and other units' LED looks all clean white.

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Mine may be a clean white, but it appears like it may have a slight blue tint unfortunately.

14. sleyeu macrumors 6502

mine is slightly warm.

and OMFGWTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a huge blue splodge in the middle on my photos!!!!

and if you shine the back of the phone in the light, you can see the lens is blue... wow apple... a blue lens...

15. coasterider macrumors regular

Is there something covering it? Whether it be over the glass or even under

16. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

All I got on the back is protective film, but then there's a cut-out on the led and camera so that area is not covered.

17. Liquidmercury20 macrumors newbie

Just to let everyone know they don't make white LEDs. They are blue to being with then companies us a yellow sulfer mix to change the color to white. White is a hard color to produce. That is why u get the.yellow tint.

18. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

Then why is mine more yellow than others'? It seems like not all iPhone4's have a yellow tint on the LED.

19. Liquidmercury20 macrumors newbie

i cant say for certain cause im not sure which company apple selected for there LEDs. But cheaper companies use a bad sulfer mix and apply too much of it which makes it yellow. The company i work for uses a high grade mix and makes a very white color. But if you do look at your LED flash on the iPhone 4 you will see that it does in fact have a yellow color. Just FYI.

20. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

Some interesting facts I've found in a iPhone 4 review on Ars Technica.

Also I've noticed one of the display models that I've compared to at the apple store, that unit was built in week 22, which is weeks before iPhone 4 was even released.

21. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

obviously the phones were/are made before they were released/sold...duh!

22. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

I've just did some searching, looks like there's quite a few people with week 22 units.

23. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

You guys think I should get a replacement? Or would this consider "Within Spec" and probably just manufacturing tolerance, so just keep it?

24. coasterider macrumors regular

It doesn't hurt to try if you are unhappy with it. But if you don't really care there is obviously no point.

25. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm more leaning towards keeping this unit. I don't really have much problems with it other than signal. And the differences in the LED flash, which I only compared it with couple store display models, haven't compared it with other actual owners. So I don't really want to risk getting a new unit with much more issues.