Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumhatcorps

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
Florida
simple

With headphones in: does not hang up.
With speaker on: Does not hang up.
In the Phone app with neither speaker or headphones (normal phone call): hangs up.

*** The logic in this decision is debatable but still makes sense. Because a user talking through headphones or speaker is likely to be using other functions, Apple has extended this “shut up” feature to the normal phone call, similar to muting an incoming call.

enonimus420

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
workaround

until apple releases a patch to fix this little problem I found a way to work around this issue in the meantime.. there is an app called Call Guard that u can use during a call and it provides a safe screen that can only be closed by pressing the home button.. now I also found a little secret.. if ur phone is locked and u receive a call (where u have the slider to answer the call instead of the button).. just answer the call and anytime during ur conversation if u want to lock your screen, u can simply press the home button twice =)

apple007

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
Touching the mute and facetime button used to always happen to me up till I found my own little way to over come this issue, all i do is press and hold the on/off button for a few seconds until the slide to turn off screen appears.

OkieInCO

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
Ditto

Wow, I just tested it and sure enough, if I'm on speaker phone and I hit the sleep button it won't hang up on the call. However, if I'm NOT on speaker phone it does. Surely Apple knows this and is addressing it in an update!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Wow, I just tested it and sure enough, if I'm on speaker phone and I hit the sleep button it won't hang up on the call. However, if I'm NOT on speaker phone it does. Surely Apple knows this and is addressing it in an update!

Are you kidding? It's been this this since 2007. I love this feature. Apple won't be changing it.

SaySomethn

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Solution!!!

until apple releases a patch to fix this little problem I found a way to work around this issue in the meantime.. there is an app called Call Guard that u can use during a call and it provides a safe screen that can only be closed by pressing the home button.. now I also found a little secret.. if ur phone is locked and u receive a call (where u have the slider to answer the call instead of the button).. just answer the call and anytime during ur conversation if u want to lock your screen, u can simply press the home button twice =)

Thank you very much enonimus420! I put a password on my phone, and double clicking the home button has definitely prevented any future: dropped, muted, facetime, additional calls, mid-call.

Lesson Learned:
Speaker: Lock with top button
Headphones: Lock with top button
To the ear: Lock with password set and home button pressed twice :)

xpimp5000

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Guys all you have to do is install ( call lock ) from cydia and set it to lock manualy, and now when you press the power/sleep button you will not hang up, you will simply lock your screen.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Thankfully 4.2.1 has fixed the proximity sensor for me. It was working fine at 4.0, 4.0.1, was broken in 4.1, and now works at 4.2.1. :)

elhern

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
locking the phone while on a call

well i called the support and they said i had a defective phone the proximity sensor was not working properly and i needed to take it back to get a new phone so for those of you who have the same problem that is what it is :D

becachic99

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
I figured out a solution

This is a multi step process. First while on a call, press the speaker button and then press the sleep button. Then slide to unlock your phone and take your call off speaker. Then press the home button and you should have a locked phone while talking and not on speaker!

pcunite

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
I'm having problems with this every day! iOS 5, I'm not buying an app for this!

PrettyGurl

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Lock screen when receiving a call

I have an iPhone 4 and I figured out that when the phone is locked and I recieve an incoming call I can "slide to answer" the call and then hit the home button once and it will go to my lock screen! Hopefully this works for you guys cause it works beautifully for me!

Dalifan

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
iPhone 4 screen lock when talking

I've been experiencing the same problems as a million other people it seems. When on a call, my face hangs up, mutes, goes to speaker, etc.

I think I figured it out!! During a call, hold the power button down instead of tapping it. It will go to the Power Off screen, but you will still be on the call! Just hit cancel when done talking and end the call. I tried it by moving my face all around to see if it would slide the power button off and it never did no matter which way I moved! Yay!!!

Rissarenee

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
I was having this same issue an I just realized that if I take off my otterbox cover, the sensor works! So the case is too thick for the sensor or something

Ktb

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
If you press the home button and exit the call screen you no longer run the risk of hanging up. This is about the only option. I notice that if I check a text message while on the phone the lock button does not hang up the call.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.