iPhone 4 lock button will not work - what's next?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jgc, Oct 26, 2013.

1. jgc macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Just a quick question for you, half-related to hardware and half-related to warranty.

My girlfriend bought a replacement iPhone 4 ~10 months ago after suffering water damage on her initial one. As of last night the lock button stopped working. What typically happens for this issue - will her phone get replaced or will they try to fix it?

I'm assuming it's under warranty because she paid ~$140 for the phone replacement last year. I'm not 100% sure if you get the full 1-year warranty on a replacement/refurb phone though - does anyone know?

Your help is appreciated.

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid you're most likely looking at an out of warranty replacement.

I believe warranties on OOW replacements are 90 days. So the last replacement is no longer under warranty. Lock button failures are not usually repaired in the store.

So... OOW from Apple, 3rd party repair would be the options if you want to keep using the 4

It might be worth it to just upgrade to a 5C or something at this point.

3. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

4. jgc thread starter macrumors regular

The lock screen/shut-off button.

Update: Unfortunately you were right about the 90 day thing, dotme. Nobody ever explained at the time that an out-of-warranty discounted replacement was only 90 days too, we assumed it was the full year. Regardless with a little bit of back and forth, they ended up giving her a free replacement iPhone 4. Took a bit of arguing but the fact that she bought a replacement previously (and they didn't understand why what broke) 10 months ago ended up working for us.