iphone 4 locked to at&t

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freakyfoot, Jun 28, 2011.

1. freakyfoot macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    I recently bought an iphone4 off ebay. the phone is locked to at&t network usa
    I want it unlocked to take any sim
    am i correct in saying that at&t dont unlock their customers' phones?
    I tried using a gevey pro sim in it, which worked for a while and then just stopped working.
    today i rastored facrtory settings and since it will not allow me pst emergency calls only until a valid sim is inserted to activate the phone

any advice?

much appreciated

2. Krandor macrumors 6502

What IOS version is the phone on? If it is one of the ones with updated baseband the Gervey Sim is going to be your only option. When you said it "stopped working" did you by chance put IOS 5 beta on because I have seen reports that iOS5 stops the Gervey from working so for now you will have to stay on 4 if you want to use it.

3. victorvu macrumors member

congrats! you just got yourself a glorified paper weight :)

all jokes aside, you should visit a nearby Apple store, try to trade it with an unlocked one, with a price of course. or to save yourself some bucks, just use an at&t prepaid sim card

4. freakyfoot thread starter macrumors newbie

its running 4.3.2 i didnt update it since the iso5 is out
    the gevey was working and one day when i turned the phone on and went through the procedure (112 etc.) it wouldnt work, and hasnt since.
    but since restoring factory settings it wont even load up until i insert a valid sim ie at&t.
    I'm living in ireland and at&t don't operate here so i have just ordered a prepaid at&t sim from ebay!
    hope this at least activates the phone so i can maybe go about jailbreaking it.

I didnt think about trading the phone in.. i wonder would it be worth my while il look into that thanks.

and as for paper weight thanks for the reassurance :)

5. victorvu macrumors member

well, sorry to hear that. gevey sim is unreliable at best. I don't think a prepaid AT&T sim would work in Ireland. I ain't no iphone expert. Last time I had trouble activating my old 3GS after restored it. And I was with T-mobile at that time. I took it to a local phone store. They used their sim card to activate it, upgraded iOS, then unlocked it for a bargain at 20$. I don't know if your area has those store though.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That will not happen.
    Apple or AT&T will not unlock any US locked iphones or trade a locked iphone for an unlocked.
    And to the OP yes, if you got any AT&T sim you can activate it officially and at least it will let you into the homescreen. And then try the gevey trick again dialing that number. If it doesnt work maybe your gevey turbosim is defective cause it is supposed to unlock it all the way up to 4.3.3 firmware.

7. danny7 macrumors newbie

8. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

No! You are not helping! You can not unlock newer baseband with ultrasn0w.

If you want to help, please be sure that what you're writing is correct.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

That is incorrect. Be a smart newbie, do your research before you give advice. :eek:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    There's so much bad and wrong info in this thread.
    People that don't know should stop trying to give help if they're clueless.