Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richardc1983

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Leeds, UK
Hello everyone

Just had a replacement IP4 from t-mobile as my other one had a yellow tinge to the screen however this one now has a wobbly home button that moves from left to right and up and down ever so slightly it makes a clicking sound as you do this. Screen is perfect however.

My other iphones have had a solid home button. T-mobile are being funny saying does it affect performance etc... I said doesnt look to but surely this isnt good on a £500 phone.

Am I being OCD or is this not normal?

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
It's definitely not normal. A normal one shouldn't wobble left and right at all. If you go to an Apple store and play around with their floor models, you'll see that a lot of home buttons on there rattle because people play around with them so much. I've bought 3 iphone 4s and none of them rattle at all.

ironclaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
Hi!

First time poster but can I ask, is the last 3 digits of your serial A4S? I've had three iPhone 4's. The first one and my current one both have A4S and they both had this problem. My brother has had two iPhone 4's. One was an A4S and had this problem, the other didn't.

I'm suspecting a factory default.

Its not normal and I'm asking for my one to be replaced once again.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
2 things that I can think of can cause this issue. 1. the home button was cut just a hair to small. 2. the screen hole was cut just a hair to big.

now, as far as the performance issue it deffinately will affect the performance. this will make it easier for dirt and moisture to get inside and damage your phone. take the thing back and tell them to replace the phone. you invested quite a bit in that phone and when the warranty runs out your stuck with it.

Trebby

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2010
I have the same problem. Bought my Iphone december 2nd. Got it back today, but they did not found any problem. :/ They must either be deaf or just blind cause the button does not respond well unless you press either very hard or you have to touch the home button right in the middle. You can hear the button wiggling, making a very irritating sound and clearly you can feel the button not properly behaving as it should.

Nonetheless, they told me I was overreacting. Tomorrow, I'm going back demanding either a refund or a working new model. I weapened myself with tons of printed out threads about the same problem on the official Apple support forums. Apple = quality? Yeah right..

Oh and my serial number is also ending with A4S. I live in Europe tho.

ahib

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
i got my ipod touch 4 from the US. one one day i noticed that the home button has the same problem, i'm sure it wasn't like that before. my serial number ends with cp9.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Hello everyone

Just had a replacement IP4 from t-mobile as my other one had a yellow tinge to the screen however this one now has a wobbly home button that moves from left to right and up and down ever so slightly it makes a clicking sound as you do this. Screen is perfect however.

My other iphones have had a solid home button. T-mobile are being funny saying does it affect performance etc... I said doesnt look to but surely this isnt good on a £500 phone.

Am I being OCD or is this not normal?

This is perfectly normal. Like all mass produced items, the iPhone is made to plus and minus tolerances. Therefore some will do it and some will not. If you just happen to get a phone, where the hole for the button is at the upper size limit, and the button is at the lower diameter limit, you will have this condition.

The rep was right, it has no impact on the performance of the phone. Be glad the button even works, as this is the real problem with iPhone 4's. I've had to replace three now, after the buttons literally stopped rendering the phone a brick.

The good news is Apple replaces them. The bad news is if I really liked the phone and wanted to keep it for three years, the button would fail out of warranty and I would be left buying a new phone out of pocket.

AT least that's what three different Apple employees told me.

Unfortunately it's a throwaway society here in the USA. No wonder the garbage dumps are filled with toxic waste.

ahib

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
if the the button fails out of warranty cant you just pay for a replacement of the button?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.