iPhone 4: Loose Screen Lamination?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aido2002, Jul 2, 2010.

1. aido2002 macrumors member

I've got my brand new iPhone 4, and just noticed a small problem that's just big enough that it will bug me every time I touch the screen: you know how with the iPhone 4, they laminated the screen to the glass? It seems loose on mine. Every time I put slight pressure on the screen, I feel it go down, and I hear a little sticky sound as it meets the screen and comes off. Is anyone else noticing this? I'm considering bringing it to the Genius Bar to see what they say. (My feeling is that I just paid $300 for the thing, it better damn well be perfect.)

Like I said, it's a small problem that's just big enough to bug me every time I touch it. I upgraded from an iPhone 3G which had (and still has) no such problem.

2. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Yep - this started for me yesterday. Seems to be on the right hand side of the screen for me, where there used to be yellow lines the top part of the screen now seems to have 'unstuck' from the bit below, as you say makes a 'unsticking' sound when it's pressed and released.

Very annoying. Goes away for a bit if i press really hard, so i imagine the adhesive is starting to fail?

Got a genius appointment for Monday. I'm thinking this could be a big issue as the iphones are now a week old and the problem has just started!

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Is it possible that those who had the yellow spots might have this problem? Maybe the adhesive didn't cure right.

4. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Exactly what I'm thinking. I had yellow lines on the right side, now they've gone but the screen is coming loose.

I heard that the yellow lines were due to some adehsive that hadnt had time to dry out, so it looks like when it does dry out it's not bonded properly.

Very unhappy (spent £599 on it!), and could be a big issue for Apple. Hoping the Apple Store has a replacement ready on Monday!

5. aido2002 thread starter macrumors member

If it's any help, my phone never had any of the yellow problems (I thought I lucked out on that one.) However, I did get mine a day late because my Apple Store screwed up the handing-out process, but that's another story.

So, I'm not crazy for being annoyed by this? Good. I'm going to go to the Genius Bar later today, if they have anything worthwhile to say I'll post it up here.

6. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Not at all... it's annoying the hell out of me! It's not a quiet unsticking sound either.

Let me know how you get on, wish i didn't have to wait until Monday until the first free appointment!

7. tokiidokii macrumors regular

8. aido2002 thread starter macrumors member

Pics wouldn't show it -- it's not that drastic. There's a small amount of space between the glass and the screen, so it't not enough to show. (That's also my theory as to why it's not damaging the glass.)

But, here's an update:

I brought it into the Apple Store two days ago and showed them the problem. The Genius there acknowledged that's odd, that it's a problem, and that they'd replace it. However, they were all out of replacement units, so they sent me home and told me they'd call me in about four days. Earlier today they called me and told me the phone was in (sooner than I had been expecting their call). I went in, I told them I was here, and they swapped it out. No hassle, no dispute. Nice and easy.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Wow ... the hits just keep coming for the "not ready for prime time" iPhone 4.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Take your ******** elsewhere.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Sorry to bump this old thread, but my iPhone has this problem right to the left of the front camera.

I can press down, hear a pop noise. If I press real hard, it will go away for about a minute.