iPhone 4 loses 3G/EDGE/GPRS symbol when on a call

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pinksteady, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Hi all,

I’m experiencing a slightly different reception problem with my iPhone 4 that I thought I’d share and hopefully obtain some advice on.

Basically, when I make a phone call, after about 4 seconds of the screen being black (due to the proximity sensor), if I re-awaken the screen by moving it away from my head, the 3G symbol will have vanished and replaced by the small circle, which in turn also disappears.

After I’ve hung up, the 3G icon returns after about 5-10 seconds.

Things to note:

1. The 3G symbol only vanishes when the screen is turned off by the proximity sensor for a minimum of about 4 seconds (I have tested this by activating the screen after 1, 2, 3, 4 seconds etc to see if the symbol is still there)
    2. If I stay on the call longer, the small circle will also have gone and there will be no symbol shown at all, just the bars on the top left.
    3. I am not holding the phone by the ‘death grip’ – I’ve tested this with the phone on the table and just covering the proximity sensor to replicate the issue
    4. The phone shows 5 bars at all times during the test, even which switching between 3G/EDGE/circle/nothing

Do I have a faulty phone?!

Thanks in advance for your help

2. bravens52 macrumors regular

im having this same problem..is there a fix..ive tried resetting network setting but its not working

3. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Any fix for this? I am also having this exact problem...

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

This is normal for every phone as it has no 3g connection while your are on a call. Remember dial up? It's like that.