iPhone 4 Major 3G problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bbplayer5, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Last couple of days I literally cant get to a page. I ran the speed test app and it came back with 76 down, 601 up. Then I had one with 1250 down, 3 (yes just 3) up.

Coworker has the 3G and he is having no issues. Would reinstalling the software maybe fix this? I tried resetting the network settings etc, and didnt fix it. Also tried force reset and powering off the phone etc.

2. bova80 macrumors 6502a

3. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

not holding it Steve :p

Think it might just be the tower. But who knows.

4. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

:D:D:D:D:D:p

5. wpc macrumors regular

I'm finding 3G speeds quite unreliable too... in fact, 3G in general has been quite unreliable since I got the iPhone 4.

In my flat for example, with the 3GS I had issues with 3G coverage but generally the phone would cycle quite well from 3G to standard 2G... but with the iPhone 4 if the phone struggles with 3G and loses coverage, it goes down to no signal and doesn't switch to 2G - regardless if I'm holding it or it's sitting on the table. I'm with O2 in the UK.

I've resorted to turning 3G off and I'm getting full signal strength now.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with O2 or the way the iPhone cycles from 3G to 2G.

6. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Pulled my sim card out, and put it back in.. seemed to fix it for a few moments then went back to slow...

Safari keeps saying server stopped responding.

7. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Yeah my 3G signal is a complete nightmare. Laying the phone on a table and repeatedly running 3G tests (Vodafone UK) gives me anywhere between 0 and 1500 Kbps (but averages about 100 - 300 Kbps).

In process of going through this with Vodafone support but 2nd line have shut for the evening so will continue tomorrow.

I've restored my phone and set it up from scratch but to no avail. I'm now going to try selotaping some paper to the bits of the sim card holder that are in contact with the metal part of the SIM card just in case that helps!

8. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Im restoring my phone just in case its that... but I think its the towers. Everyone is accessing 3G with their new toys and they cant handle it...

Ridiculous.