iPhone 4 makes it hard to co-exist with the iPad & iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Jul 13, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way...

I got an iPhone 4 first (the day after release), and an iPad a few days ago.

I'm now SO used to (and impressed by) the iPhone 4's amazing, beautiful Retina Display that when I switch to my iPad, it's like... night and day. It's like going from a beautiful crisp device that looks like e-ink or colored paper, to a device that doesn't look like that. It's like going from from Jessica Biel or Jessica Alba to Rosie O Donnell in the same night.

In other words, the iP4's display makes any other screen look dated and sloppy.

Am I just too picky? BTW NOT bashing iPad, it's so much fun and it's great, but yeah... Just the Retina Display mental conditioning.

2. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

I also have an iPhone 4, my iPad is on eBay as I type this. I loved it, just can't get over the difference.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I was planning on getting an ipad but after seeing the iphone, I'm just going to wait for the 2nd generation ipad now..

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

No, your not being picky, the retina display will do that. I have a highres Dell laptop which I though had an amazing display, but now I look at it and think "this sucks". I don't have an iPad though, don't plan on getting one.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've had an iPad since day one, and now I'm ready for the next generation with an improved screen. I thought the iPad's screen looked noticeably better than the iPhone 3GS's screen, but now the screen seems outdated. The only problem is that it would be very difficult to come close to the iPhone 4's pixel density on a 9.7" screen, and the internal hardware would have to see a significant upgrade to push such a high resolution. We won't see anything as impressive on the iPad for years. Apple will probably still make a significant upgrade to the iPad's screen in the next generation iPad, but it wont match the iPhone 4 in pixel density.

6. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

Sounds like you bought your ipads for all the wrong reasons. The screen on the iPhone is the most overrated feature, it's just a little brighter. I can't see a pixel on this screen, couldn't on my last, and only noticed a difference in maybe sharpness on the iphone. I enjoy the bigger screen much more than a slightly sharper one.

7. XciteMe thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey now... I never once complained about the iPad's usability or fun factor, in fact I praised it as you can see.

I was simply saying that, the difference in screen resolution after using iP4 makes it difficult.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Quick question, have you used an iPhone 4 for significant amount of time? I felt the same way when I first saw and used one, but after a couple days of using and getting used to the screen is when I noticed how bad other screen look in comparison.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why did you even consider the iPad when the iPhone 4 made it outdated with its retina display and front facing camera? Return it and wait for the 2nd generation iPad, which should be better than the iP4 until iP5 comes out.

10. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

Yeah I have been using it a lot, got it the day AT&T sold them to the non pre order crowd. I don't have a screen cover on or anything to. I mean it looks great, I just wasn't blown away like I expected to be the way it was hyped up. I always get frustrated by the size restriction and notice that more.

I guess it's size is just what I find more important, cause I use my iPad for class notes, watching videos, and surfing the web. The web and note experience feels way better just because of more real estate, you get to see the website the way it's meant to be seen. Not the stripped down mobile version.

11. msavwah macrumors 6502

12. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Yes, I've found that I use my iPad alot less. But then again, my iPhone 4 is the "new baby" right now, so that's probably it. I expect that in a month or so, it'll even out and ill use them each for their own purposes (iPhone for phone stuff, quick tasks and getting on the web when i dont have WiFi, and iPad for reading and surfing the web while lounging, etc.)

13. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes, but I always use the iPad for emails. I will not upgrade thr iPad until its at least 280 PPI(hear that Apple?)

14. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

I know exactly what your saying. Had ipad on day one loved it and had a 3GS. I bought my iPad mainly to surf. It's been great to get home and sit on the couch with the iPad but now with the iPhone 4 I resent the ipad's screen and have been going for the iPhone 4 cause reading is better...It really is. Now I did find a some what solution with ipuhelin safari + add ons (works on iPhones too). They have java widgets one which allows you to change font size but doesn't always work. So yeah I can't wait for a retina display iPad. I would buy it for $1,000 with 64gb.

15. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

When the iPad was released I started hyping myself up to purchase it. I knew it wasn't "practical" for my needs but a cool gadget that would get tons of use. Use that my 3GS was getting.

Then I bought the iPhone 4 and was so glad I didn't drop the cash on the iPad. All the use (browsing, email, pics) my ipad would have been used on is done on my i4 and in perfect resolution. If the iPad ever gets a camera and some more uses my MacBook does I would reconsider. Till then I can't see how it would fit between my i4 and MacBook.

Blonde Buddhist

16. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Mac Rumors... Helping me find new reasons to dislike my stuff on a daily basis lol... Thanks. :p

17. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I don't understand why anyone would have both an iPad and an iPhone, they just overlap in way too many functions.

18. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

screen size! I use my iPad much more than my iphone indoors. It's become indispensable for reading pdfs, some books, PDA, scrabble, answering e-mail, the web...and lots of apps need the larger screen to shine. When I'm on the run, I use the phone for its maps.

I think the Apple ecosystem was well thought out.

19. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

20. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

But if you are at home why not just use a macbook (pro)? Even larger screen, full-fleged apps, web browsing w/ flash AND a physical keyboard.

21. Mshilling macrumors regular

I disagree. I had both (returned my iphone 4) and they both serve such different purposes, that IMO they complimented each other well. The screen on the phone was nice, but it was such a failure in other areas that I found myself hating it regardless of how many things it did well.

I switched to an EVO and I can say that the screen is beautiful on that. Before I returned the phone, I compared them side by side, and while the iphone screen was obviously better it was definitely not so great that all my other devices looked like crap. it sounds to me like you are just looking for an excuse to get rid of your ipad so by all means, get rid of it. Waiting for the next gen device with better specs will ALWAYS be a problem, so if this is your logic, you may never own another device again.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Except for the important ones. Maybe you have a wide legs, I don't know, but I can't stick an iPad in my pocket, and I can't do meaningful work on an iPhone.

In course of history similar tools have coexisted, each serving a different purpose. The 00 and 0 screwdriver, the salad and dinner fork, the hammer and the mallet, the pen and pencil, and yes, the iPhone and the iPad.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

I was someone who never thought the iPad was of interest to me. Until I got one. And to be honest - I have no idea what anyone else's motivation was for getting one - but if you're having a hard time having both devices "co exist" then I can only pity you. Especially if the reason is something like quality of the screen (as if the iPad has a bad screen? WOW) That as a reason just baffles me.

Also makes me question why you bought an iPad to begin with. If it was something you just wanted because it was the latest shiny new Apple toy - or if you thought a little but more about it and how it could or would benefit you to have one.

24. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

Lol the iPad screen us amazing as it is, it displays beautiful colors and sharpness, you can only see pixelsn if you put your eye to the screen and zoom right in ( which no one would do anyway) and a camera on the iPad is useless, or are people really going to hold the iPad upto there face for 5+ minutes? After a few minutes it will feel horrible/starting to feel tired. And a camera on the back is just as pointless, who the hell is going to walk around with a huge iPad taking photos and videos? You will look like a dick if you did.

25. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

Oh and the op gives me the impression he just acts like a sheep and buys anything apple/the public as a whole buys.

I bought the iPad because I knew I would enjoy the view of larger apps more( compared to the iPhone apps), to read digital mags, play music , and have the Internet in the palm of my hands, anywhere in the world. The only time I go on my laptop now is because I use some flash based sites, word and have s lot of media on divX format. Any other time I am on the iPad, i. Love.it.

Oh and I have actually been saving money using the iPad, I no longer pay huge bills for mobile broadband, instead I just pay such and such for unlimited Internet :)