iPhone 4: Malfunction predictions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phillipjfry, Jun 14, 2010.

1. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I know I'll probably be cursed or flamed by starting this thread but I was wondering if anyone had any predictions of iPhone 4 malfunctions/tech difficulties or maybe something crashing causing everyone/most with an iPHone 4 to not activate or what have you.

I believe, pessimistically, that every year there has been some sort of hiccup during an iPhone launch, or later to find out that there were some hardware/software(?) difficulties to work through.

Anyone have any predictions on what this year's issue will be?

I think the past years' problems included activation issues, iphone screen discoloration, ohhh I'm blanking on other issues off the top of my head but I believe those issues existed.

I realize that this is a near-worldwide release of a smart phone going into the hands of millions at a time; there WILL be issues but I was curious if anyone had their own predictions of hardware/other issues that could crop up. :)

2. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Dont forget the white iphone 3gs discoloration issues.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

It's possible, given all the new hardware. However, keep in mind Apple rarely puts out faulty hardware. They either choose bad materials (plastic cracking) or have quality control issues (iMac screens shifting in shipment).

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

5. gwfattwkr macrumors member

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I predict broken screens. :p

7. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

I think this will possibly be less of a problem this time due to the new material. I just took a good look at my (white) original iPod video and it's still white as when it was new. It's scratched to hell but it's not discolored.

8. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

The problem with the 3g and 3gs was just really bad quality control. The plastic cases were always dodgy round the metal bezel, over hanging ect. The actual glass screens were never level with the bezel, not to mention the dodgy hold buttons which would sit flat with the case on one side and the silent switch which would stop working or fall out.

Hopefully the iPhone 4 will be a lot better with less problems.

9. eoren1 macrumors 6502

wifi...

Wifi drops/disconnects has me worried almost to the point of not preordering and holding off for the first week or two.
    E

10. elephunkman macrumors 65816

11. C8XY macrumors 6502

i just hope the phone part of the iphone is more reliable! granted this could be network issues but dropped calls and data loss is unacceptable

12. thornguy macrumors regular

There will be a problem with some of the 'cool' leaking out and getting on people's pants and hands.

I think they've stuck too much into this one and containing it all is going to be a problem.

13. ndpitch macrumors 6502

I predict the accidental "it fell off my desk and now the back/front is spider cracked!!" problems. SquareTrade insurance FTW.

14. phillipjfry thread starter macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

That's right, the case cracking along the speakers and also along the plug-in along the bottom.

I wonder if that's why they went with the steel design around the edges where most pressure is to be applied and glass to avoid the discoloration, which I thought was due to heat/battery. I guess you could still discolor the glass though.

I will still say display issues, probably discoloration still

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The two pieces of parallel glass will inadvertently gather inverse tachyon streams between them which will meld with the new battery technology causing a hyper-slipstream effect that will suck your consciousness into an alternate dimension.

[/StarTrek]

16. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

This x1000

17. actorkid macrumors 6502

I don't see case discoloration being a problem. Remember the actual white or black part of the phone is not open. It's underneath glass. I think your white phone is safe from your grimy little fingers.

18. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

it blows up from the complete awesomeness. but now being serious i hope there is no problems because im pre ordering and then if it does have problems i will be mad and phoneless

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I predict a couple hundred threads about out the steel frame and the glass don't sit straight.

20. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

I predict battery meltdowns which will cause millions of pairs of pants all over the globe will spontaneously combust. :eek:

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

"I dropped my phone on asphalt and the glass chipped. This is unacceptable. I expect quality in my hardware, not cheap glass that can't absorb a 2m fall onto an immovable object."

22. homerjfry macrumors regular

homerjfry

23. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I've dropped my 3G several times onto the pavement by accident and I've never gotten a cracked screen (broken mute button though.) When the glass screen sits flush to the sides though? I guarantee you, we'll see broken screens all over the place.

I hate this, I always prefer a "nude" phone. But if screens start turning up shattered, I might have to invest in one of them ghastly "bumpers."

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Wifi, yet again.

Not actually a problem, but I think we’ll have LOTS of posts about dropping the iPhone and the glass on front or back cracking.