iphone 4, malfunctioning home button (not the typical problem)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by untrustus, Dec 11, 2011.

1. untrustus macrumors newbie

Alright for starters, this is not a sticky home button, a home button that occasionally works or a mechanical issue.
    My home button seems click on and off and random intervals of no longer than 2 seconds. I'll be in an app, press the home button and get no response. then 5 seconds later it'll go into voice control, go to the home screen, go back to voice control, the multitask bar will appear for a second and then return to voice control. It will do any combination of what I just mentioned and sometimes also includes, immediately closing an app multiple times in a row, taking screen shots when I try to unlock my phone and going to the search bar.
    I know this is not a hardware issue because upon restoring my phone in an attempt to solve this issue I had to place my phone into dfu mode multiple times. for those not familiar, this process involves holding down the home button for a measured amount of time and would not work if home button was sporadically pressing on and off.
    It's probably a firmware issue but upon restore I upgraded from iOS 5 to 5.1 and the problem still persists. any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really at a a loss.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Did you set up as new, or restore from a backup?

3. untrustus thread starter macrumors newbie

I restored from a backup. Though I'm begining to accept that I'm probabaly going to have to start from scratch.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Probably! Something may be corrupted and causing it to happen.

5. untrustus thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, just restored it as a new phone but the problem remains. I just don't get it :/