Iphone 4 Memory issue

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Junlee, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Junlee macrumors newbie

Hi there, if this title was cover please let me know.

Previously i've jailbroken my iphone 4 IOS 4.2.1
    I install sbsetting, activator, winterboard, bytafont etc.
    Of course those i mentioned will eat up some RAM.

I remove winterboard after i found it affect the iphone performance, but what i really found is, my available RAM in idle with winterboard installed was 356, after i remove winterboard (thinking it might release more RAM), but end up the RAM goes down to 341 in idle.

Why is this happening, aren't it suppose to release more RAM since it is removed? :(

Anyone there can provide any explanation?

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

Yes. When you jailbreak, weird things can happen.

Things like this are why I stopped jailbreaking. My iPhone 3G is still jailbroken due to some applications I need on it, but I've learned to live with a measure of instability and misbehavior. So for my iPhone 4, no more jailbreaking.

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

4. Junlee thread starter macrumors newbie

I've reboot it and still the same, the RAM just won't goes down, i'm on jailbroken 4.3.1 now, dare not to add anything yet until found any answer.

5. Junlee thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm too relied on the jailbroken feature, i can't live without it, thus i need to find some answer

6. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Hard to understand what goes on in the OS from a glance. Maybe one of the substrates was off when it was uninstalled, or maybe just the simple fact Winterboards a little glitchy. If it really bothers you just do a restore. I've done this so long I expect these issues though lol.

7. Junlee thread starter macrumors newbie

I just update to 4.3.1 and jailbroken, now i need to find some information to that matter before i installed any tweak into my iphone, i worried it just happen again

8. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had similar issues when i was on 4.2.1 JB. There seemed to be some kind of memory leak which then caused my phone to reboot

I could open a few apps and leave my phone. Now and again i would check sbsettings and the available memory would be decreasing dlowly even if i wasnt using phone. It helped if i closed apps via multitasking, but even then the memory would still go down

This seems to be resolved for me on 4.3.1 JB. I have the exact same JB apps and setup.

9. TC25 macrumors 68020

Why do you care how much free ram you have and why would you 'dare not add' any more apps? This doesn't make any sense.

10. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Why are you so concerned with the memory available.

Unless it majorly affects your phone the odd few MB should not matter.

11. Junlee thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want the same thing to happen to my phone for ios 4.3.1, because with the RAM keep going down and not up, it keep make my phone lag...

12. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

341 v/s 356 is not the difference that makes your phone lag. Sorry but I've been there myself - furiously trying to optimize RAM as a newbie to iOS and I recommend you to not pay that much attention to RAM but rather on, which tweaks you install.

One you jailbreak you're on your own and not two iPhones react the same to identical tweaks, it's also down to the data you carry on them. Just let it go and enjoy your phone

13. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

I've found my ram usage to have greatly improved on 4.3.1.

I have skype, SBsettings, Lockinfo, multiflow, barrel, sleepfx, springtomize etc etc etc running and i hover around 230mb free.

14. Happytodd macrumors regular

I'm hanging around 279 RAM at the moment, 2 weeks ago I was around 340. I've just added a few tweaks here and there...

15. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

My i4 memory with all apps closed via SBSettings EXCEPT Phone is between 307 and 322. It moves around, and I find that, after a respring, it goes up. But it doesn't seem to have any real affect on speed of the device. My iPad, however, is another matter, due to less memory to begin with.

I really don't see any issue with what the OP is describing. It certainly shouldn't hurt the phone to do a straight restore. If he is concerned, he should do two restores in a row to get all the JB stuff out of the system. Then, his RAM will be whatever it is and he would have no worries.