iPhone 4 mic not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ech2599, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ech2599 macrumors newbie

My mic does not seem to be working when using speakerphone or on facetime, but normal calls work fine. I can hear the person speaking over facetime, but they cannot hear me. I was able to use my headphones mic to talk over facetime, but I'd hate to have to use that everytime.

**Also, I just did the voice memo and the mic worked fine. Is there a setting I have messed up? This is weird.

**Another test, video playback only produces noise, you can't hear me talking at all.

Anyone have any ideas? If I took this to the apple store, would they just replace it?

2. kberkopes macrumors newbie

Me too!

I too am having this problem. I can record using the voice memo app, and the mic works for apps like Shazam. I can't use the speakerphone, Facetime, or record any audio with my video. I did a complete restore to iOS 4.01, with no luck.

3. Silverhawk202 macrumors newbie

same issue

i'm having an issue with the microphone too. i can't be on speakerphone mode and have people hear me. Everyone says they can't hear me. I've been able to use the mic regularly. I'm thoroughly confused about this. Software bug?

This is my 3rd iPhone 4. 1st was due to manufacture defects. 2nd was due to the fact the bumper scratched the supposed 'steel' band.

I wonder if the 4.1 update will fix this.

is anyone else having a similar issue?

4. ech2599 thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: I took mine into the local apple store and they said a lot of people have had this problem and they just replaced mine with a brand new one. Everything works perfect on the new one. Good luck!

5. NocturnalEVO macrumors member

I'm having this same issue, it seems as if it just kinda crept up out of nowhere.

How many of you with this problem are jailbroken?

6. TW95 macrumors member

Mic Issue

I've had the issue aswell.

Hold power and home button until phone force shuts down. Turn on as normal. It should work now. Not sure what the actual problem is.

If it doesn't work get back to me and I could suggest other solutions.

7. NocturnalEVO macrumors member

that was the first thing i tried, made absolutely no difference unfortunately.

Im jailbroken. but have deleted every jb app or mod that i downloaded, and still no luck.

I'm on 4.0.1 and would normally have just done a restore, however I don't want to get updated to 4.0.2 or whatever the newer firmware is.

Any other suggestions?

8. TW95 macrumors member

Mic Issue

I believe you can still Jailbreak on iOS 4.0.2 with Redsn0w and I'd imagine it has broken due to the Jailbreak.

Did you use 'Jailbreakme.com'?

9. NocturnalEVO macrumors member

Yes, I used jailbreakme.com

I'm waiting to see if some of these other guys in this thread have all jailbroken or not.

I'll look into Redsn0w too though, thanks!

10. TW95 macrumors member

Mic Issue

Users have reported MMS and Facetime issues after using Jailbreakme.

11. NocturnalEVO macrumors member

hmm.. no MMS issues that I know of.

just the mic acting up in facetime and recording video =\

12. berto321 macrumors newbie

I found the fix

I stumbled upon this. I still don't know the cause of the microphone not working, but I installed shazam and put it on auto-on. Keep that running in the background and the mic should work however you want to use it.