iphone 4 mic problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inunionbreathe, Jul 24, 2010.

1. inunionbreathe macrumors newbie

has anyone been having microphone problems with their iphone 4's? i've recently noticed (after upgrading to 4.0.1) that when i receive a call and put it on speaker, the other person can barely hear me, saying how it sounds like i'm whispering while holding the phone far from from mouth. i've also noticed that when i record a video and play it back the audio is barely audible.

i thought it might be the case i was using but continued having the same problem after i removed the phone from the case. i tried cleaning the speakers/mics by lightly brushing them as the apple support site said, i restored the phone to factory settings and tested it again with the same results. the weird thing is that the voice memo app worked perfectly.

i did some searching and found that other people have been having the same problem, one guy posted some videos here http://xsellize.com/topic/71634-iphone-4-microphone-bug/

i contacted apple care and let them know about my situation it and set up an appointment for tomorrow. if anyone's interested i'll post the results. i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

2. lowrisk macrumors newbie

Dysfunctional iPhone 4 mic

My mic works about half the time. The rest of the time, my callers can't hear me at all. It is as if I have the mute button on, but it's not (at least not visibly). Unfortunately, the 50% uptime always seems to be when I'm in the Apple store, so the techs don't see the problem. To make the issue even more curious, I have the same problem with a bluetooth earpiece connected. I can hear my callers but they can't hear me. So, I don't think it's a physical problem with the iPhone's mic. Rather, there must be something that's preventing outgoing audio.

Another issue with my iPhone - my signal strength is randomly 5 bars to 0, even when I'm not holding the phone. The so-called "death grip" isn't the only problem with the antenna.

If I can't get a replacement tomorrow, I'm deactivating and reinstating my 3G.